iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

actual mill production

Started by spencerhenry, September 22, 2005, 07:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmillDave

Hello,

I sawed on a Timber Harvester 30HT25 and produced 1x's and also ties. I consistently produced 2000 bd/ft 8 hr day. I think they have a great mill and personable people.

dail_h

Interesting topic,been followingit all. I did some adding today,and my figures tell a lot about my operation.I never really worried about production too much,just had to saw till it was done.
   The last few days,I have been cutting Isabel cypress for a neighbor.By Isabel,I mean cypress that was blown down,or over by the storm.Much of it has either a crack in it or shake,so it's not just straight sawing. I work by myself with an all manual mill,an edger,and "Spud", my ancient forklift. I started on these logs last Thursday right after lunch,sawed till about 5:30,started back Friday morning about 8:30 -9:00,worked till 5:00.Sawed all day Sat.,didn't even stop for lunch or anything except to come in and fix another jug of water till 6:30. Spent Monday morning moving slabs,and lumber,doc's appointment in the afternoon,so no sawing.Yesterday,8:15 till5:00,today,had to sharpen blades this morning,started sawing around 9:30,sawed till just before lungh,when I had a somewhat time consuming breakdown,got back sawing just before 4"00,broke a blade right at 5:00,edged,and stacked rindboards till just after 6:00.
   Now everything that gets done,I have to do it,load the deck,load the mill,do all the turning ,stack slabs ,and lumber,edge and stack,sharpen blades,EVERTYTHING.Cutting 2x6s,1x6s,2x4s,1x4s,and 1x3s, I had just over 2000 ft at lunchtime today.Now I know that's not too impressive,but I ain't trying to kill myself,and to tell the truth,the time the blade is actualy in the log ,is probably way less than 25%,more likely 10%.
   Bottom line,don't matter how fast your mill will saw,if it ain't sawing,you ain't making count. Still 'n all, it's a dang lot better'n GP ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Swede

Quotei have a 2003 woodmizer lt40 super with a diesel. no matter what i do, i NEVER get anywhere near the production rates that are advertised. averaged out for the day i probably only get about 200 bdft /hr. that does include getting the logs to the mill, and off bearing everything by myself, but i am not stacking the 1x, just throwing it in a pile. and the rest of what i am milling is beams, the smallest today being 10' 3x6. i am milling dry blue spruce which has big knots, and feed rate is pretty slow to not have wavy cuts.  what do other get for actual production?

I´m close to that with my little sawmill if I change the blade every 2-5 hours. The soft wood that fell in the storm Jan. 8 is very different now. Some is like fresh wood, other like sawing cotton waste.
If my calculation is right 1M3=435bf. I´ve made my own rate. If the logs are 10" x 15´ or more I´ll do that in 2,5 hours without any help. Also stacking if the piles isn´t too high.

Best way to hold the production up is to change blade before the cut get wavy. I don´t think the brand or colour of the mill makes a big difference.  ;) Pulling a sharp blade through a log is enough but also well working equipment.
Sawing bad logs it takes me longer time to make decision what to do with it and slow down the production.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!