iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another home built bandmill nearing completion

Started by jpad_mi, September 07, 2004, 04:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede

Thank You, Gilman. I have used Hammerite a lot, even rolled  low section of my old car with Hammerite. ;D Need to do it again so the color there is the same as on my saw mill.

jpad_mi.; For me it looks like You turn the posts ACROSS the frame. Haven´t seen that before, but have seen Forestor Jacko turn them down ALONG the frame.

Made a little test with my log turner yesterday. As I said, the spring is too weak. There are two springs holding the hood open on my Scania 55 from 1962. Have to find another old Scania........  ;D

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

jpad_mi

Well, it's been over a year since I claimed that my mill was nearing completion. Due to other commitments at home, I didn't have a chance to work on the mill for about ten months. My brother and I were finally able to start working on it again around Labor Day of this year. Yesterday afternoon, we sawed up our first log! A 15" or 16" by 7ft cherry. It was pretty cool to finally see it work. We still have a few things to finish up before tearing it down to paint (I should have listened to you, GF; I want to saw wood more than paint now...).

Thanks again for all of the forum knowledge and advice! I still need to break out the FF Christmas Contest peas for the celebration feast!

Jeff P. in Michigan

Fla._Deadheader

Very nice job.  8) Congrats to you and yer helpers.  ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

PawNature

Had to re read first post I thought you said it raise a big ASH log. :D
Great Job
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Timburr

You've finally made it 8) 8) Good one

What's it like milling your first log?.....it's bin a while for me. I can hardly remember. :D ;D :D

Tim
Sense is not common

brdmkr

I envy anyone who can do the kind of construction you have pulled together in your mill.  That is an awesome mill 8) 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

woodbowl

What a good job you have done and a good looking mill to prove it! 8) What type of feed did you finally settle on? Hydraulic or electric? I'm seeing a cable on the left side. Is that part of it or is it something else?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

jpad_mi

We ended up going with hydraulic drive, and yes, the cable on the left side is the drive cable. It's anchored to the head assembly and has a couple of wraps around a large flatbelt pulley on the hydraulic motor.

PaPaw - we tested the log loaders with a big ash log, but didn't saw it because we didn't have the head assembly complete. We decided to start small when it came time to cut our maiden log ; the big ash was too intimidating  :)

Swede - did you ever finish your log turner? I'd like to see it and here how it works. 
Jeff P. in Michigan

woodbowl

Quote from: jpad_mi on October 05, 2005, 06:53:55 AM
It's anchored to the head assembly and has a couple of wraps around a large flatbelt pulley on the hydraulic motor.

Sure would like to see a close up shot of the flatbelt pully and wrap, and hydraulic motor set up. Is this motor 6 gpm also?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

jpad_mi

The hydraulic motor is mounted at the rear of the trailer frame and the cable runs up to the front where is turns through two idler sheaves. Both loose ends of the cable are anchored to the carriage.  Here's a picture of the hydraulic motor and pulley before the cable was installed, I'll snap a couple of better pictures this weekend:

The hydraulic motor is a 23in^3/rev Char-Lynn, and the pulley is roughly 12inch diameter, which is what I could get cheap on eBay. I may end up going with a smaller drive pulley in the future; the gig back speed is a little too fast  ;D
Jeff P. in Michigan

woodbowl

Quote from: jpad_mi on October 05, 2005, 06:34:16 PM
the gig back speed is a little too fast 
Looking forward to the other pics..............How do you gig back too fast? The faster you get back, the faster you get into the next board. ;D

Minnesota_boy

You know you're giging back too fast when the carriage stops and the log don't.  ;D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Swede

QuoteSwede - did you ever finish your log turner? I'd like to see it and here how it works.

Yes, I made the turner and it works well for most logs. Took a picture a few days ago turning 4pc.  4" boards. Finally I remembered to take my camera with me.
Takes a week or two before I´ve got the pictures.

Nice job at that mill! I like that dark blue, is it Hammerite? Hope You´ll paint moving parts red now. Same colors as the US flag. ;D

A lesson in Swedish:
Amerika-Såg=An American Sawmill.
En Amerika-Såg= One American Sawmill.
Amerika-Sågen=The American Sawmill.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

Swede

Here is an old picture from my album. Changed the teeth some and it works better now.
The V-shaped thing is pulled/lifted by the cylinder you can see in left corner. The cylinder you see in the middle is pulling a plate with teeth. I have to follow the plate some with the level but two springs let the plate follow the log most of the way around. Look at the hole (110x20mm.) where the cylinder is bolted to the right of picture and You´ll understand. The cylinders stroke is 150 mm. but I can just press or pull the cylinder 20mm in each end of the stroke.
The springs are much stronger now. Took them from a hood on an old Volvo ;D
Can even clamp down to 6"x6" or so before sawing the turner.  Then I have to use the manual clamps.

Swede.

jpad_mi

Swede,

that turner is an engineering marvel! I have looked at the picture for 5minutes and still can't figure out exactly how the thing works  :( I guess I'll need to wait a couple of weeks for your new pictures...

The mill hasn't been painted yet; still bare steel. You better check your monitor if it looks blue  ;D  The Hammerite paint you recommended doesn't appear to be available in the US. The parent company, ICI, does business in the US so I'll do a little more research to find out if I can get it.
Jeff P. in Michigan

Thank You Sponsors!