iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

engine trouble

Started by smwwoody, February 19, 2015, 09:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

The engine in my Q80 just gave up.  My question is .  I have a good 6bt out of a dodge truck. It is a 215 hp 12 valve.  What issues will I have putting this in my Q80. Other than I will need to use the exhaust and some other external parts off of the skidder motor
Thanks
Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

barbender

Was the engine in the Q80 a 5.9 as well? If so what HP rating? If it's much different, I suppose you could just swap out the injection pumps. I wonder how many 12 valve 5.9's are getting transplanted into equipment now that the pickups they came in are falling apart, and the engines are just getting broke in ;)
Too many irons in the fire

smwwoody

It was a 5.9 in the Q80 @ 205 hp
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

barbender

That should be a good match horsepower-wise. The Q80 is your Clark skidder, right? That engine doesn't have any governing mechanism, right? Does it have the Bosch 7100 pump? I'm assuming the pickup 5.9 has the 7100 if it is a 215 HP. If the pump configuration is the same, it should be a pretty straightforward swap. Mind you, I've never did one of these swaps and I'm just sharing my limited 5.9 knowledge, mostly because no one more knowledgeable has posted anything yet, and I am sitting here waiting for my machine to warm up after fighting to get it started today (-30° F). So take it for what it's worth (about .02 ;)).

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smwwoody

The Q 80 is a Franklin

Both motors have the P pump. O think this should work
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

treeslayer2003

smwwoody

There are interchangeable flywheel housings on the 6bt
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Dave Shepard

Check to see if the front timing covers and motor mounts are compatible.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

You may want to swap in the pump injectors and cam from the skidder motor to the dodge motor I'm pretty sure the governor is setup different than the pickup and I could be wrong on the cam and injectors but it's a thought
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

kiko

My advice would be to use the truck engine just like a long block.Long block on truck engine is identical to the engine in the frank.  Buy a gasket set less head gasket and swap it out.  Using  original fuel and exhaust will eliminated any need to make custom linkages and exhaust.  By swapping in original pump horsepower remains the same so no need to worry about increased horsepower causing drive train issues.  The only difference I can think of in the 5.9 12 valve base engine is some have pipe plugs in the oil galley and others have straight thread o ring plugs.  You will also have to swap out the rear main because if I am not mistaken the frank has a wet convertor and a double lip rear main is required in this application.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: kiko on February 19, 2015, 08:59:10 PM
My advice would be to use the truck engine just like a long block.Long block on truck engine is identical to the engine in the frank.  Buy a gasket set less head gasket and swap it out.  Using  original fuel and exhaust will eliminated any need to make custom linkages and exhaust.  By swapping in original pump horsepower remains the same so no need to worry about increased horsepower causing drive train issues.  The only difference I can think of in the 5.9 12 valve base engine is some have pipe plugs in the oil galley and others have straight thread o ring plugs.  You will also have to swap out the rear main because if I am not mistaken the frank has a wet convertor and a double lip rear main is required in this application.
do they all have a wet converter? i ran into this once and thought it was really strange.

kiko

I can,t say that all Franklins had a wet converter ,  but I can say all the ones I have come across did.  But I have no experience with the Q series, just the 170s and c7f.  Cats also have a wet converter.

barbender

I knew some more experienced advice would come along ;) Kiko, where in middle Georgia are you located?

smwwoody

Thanks kilo
You confirmed what I was thinking. Both of my Frank's have wet converters. I am glad you mentioned the rear seal. I knew it but would have forgotten about it. Both motors have the same turbo so I am going to use the one from the truck motor. It is in better shape

Thanks
Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

kiko

Bartender,  I am about 50 miles south of Atlanta.

barbender

Quote from: kiko on February 21, 2015, 09:24:22 PM
Bartender,  I am about 50 miles south of Atlanta.
Forsyth by chance?

kiko

Yes. Good guess or do you know me.  There were some ponsse machines around here for a while that I did repairs on.

barbender

Kind of maybe sort of ;D PM sent.

Thank You Sponsors!