iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Project for 2017

Started by bushmechanic, January 01, 2017, 09:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Nice fishplating!  And great all around beads.  7018?  DS Flux core?  Very impressive welding Bushmechanic.  
"Make every step count."

bushmechanic

Thanks Sanderson, comes from years of repairs in the woods lol. It was stick welding with 7018 Hobart rods and some 7018 Esab.

sandersen

7018.  And you can't even really see any of your restarts.  To those who may not appreciate the skill involved, or who have never burned any rod, that is superb stick work.  
"Make every step count."

thecfarm

Betcha got a few hours time in welding on the 2017 project.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Autocar

Times two on your welding excellent job !
Bill

Ed_K

X 3 that's excellent welding.
Ed K

woodmaker

x4 on the welding. That would be really nice welding with a mig, but is wicked impressive with a stick
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

teakwood

X5, that is some impressive stick welding!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

bushmechanic

Thanks guys for the morale boost on the welding! I managed to get another day at it, fabed up the rear driveline before I put her back out of the garage again. Wish I had a large enough garage to leave it in until it was finished! Next job arrived around four this afternoon, a rebuild on a F6L-912 Deutz out of a C6 Tree Farmer. Stay safe everyone!

Crusarius

Was the back half of the frame rotten or are you converting it into a log bed?

Looks awesome either way. I was wondering what you used to weld that. Funny story. My buddy bought a stick welder and wanted to weld a thumb on his mini X asked me to show him how to weld. Man am I spoiled with my mig. My stick welding skills have gone to poo. One day I will pull my old stick back out and fine tune my skills again.

bushmechanic

Crusarius there wasn't anything wrong with the frame, I just always wanted to do this with a skidder. I have two other skidder's but I like forwarder's better, keeps the wood cleaner. I'm doing this as cheap as I can, for example the driveline is a lot of Timberjack yokes, steady bearing from a 201 and the longer drive shaft belonged to a 1940's deuce and a half that was cut to fit. All stuff that's kicking around my place. Last fall I picked up a Hiab loader for it and that will probably be modified to suit my needs. I hear ya on the mig welder, I was using a 250 amp one belonging to a guy that I do work for some easy to use. I picked up a 60 amp plasma cutter and 250 amp mig welder last summer, only Chinese knockoff's but I used the plasma cutter on this job and I am very impressed with it. I couldn't use the mig as I had no gas for it and needed a new contract to get it from the local gas suppliers.      

Crusarius

Definitely a sweet project. After seeing a forwarder parked next to a pile of logs with a load of logs that would really be my choice to. 

Right now I just need to drive one of each :) One day someone will let me drag logs for them.

I keep telling everyone my resume is my avatar :)

kiko

Bushmechanic, at least you were able to get some time in on your project. My Case is still in the same spot. My son and I have been working on the cj7 , we got it down to the frame and have started going back. I had planned to retire from the customer  mechanic work at the first of the year; has not worked out for me yet.  Just to jump ahead a bit, what is your plan for the hydraulics for the crane? Do you plan to use a diverted set up or a dual pump.  A dual pump set would seem the to the way to.  It has been many moons for me and the Detroit engine, are there not two accessory drives on the back of the engine?

bushmechanic

Well kiko that's too bad about your planned retirement, but it's good that your doing a project with your son! I'm going to run a single pump with most likely power beyond in the valves, should be only two valves... the steering and the boom. I'll run the blade off of an extra section of the boom valve. The original hydraulics had some sort of a diverter vale that you could manually adjust for the flow to the steering or blade as needed, not quite sure but it may not go back. Yes you are correct on the aux drives on the back of the engine, but no room to mount another pump with the dash plate in the way. Maybe I might have to go with a tandem pump... oh the ideas you have put in my head now! 

kiko

So if you use a section of the boom valve for the blade, a single pump feeding a priority valve would be about as simple and efficient you could get.

Thank You Sponsors!