iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon LGX vs EXL chain?

Started by John Mc, May 30, 2019, 09:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Time to get some more chain. I've been using Oregon 73LGX. How does their EXL chain compare?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

I'm curious too.
Fancy looking chain but after cutting pine and a few rocks looks are no longer revelant.
I'm really wanting to try the new Swedish or is it Norwegian made Husqvarna chains.
Maybe SawTroll can chime in here.  ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

I thought I had heard something about Oregon coming out with a higher-hardness chain (similar to Stihl?), but I don't know if there is any truth to that rumor or not.

I'd also be interested in trying out the new Husqvarna chain, but haven't seen it around here yet.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lxskllr

I'd definitely welcome a harder chain at a nicer price than Stihl. As it is, I won't buy Oregon anymore unless it's highly discounted.

sawguy21

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 30, 2019, 09:32:12 AM
I'm curious too.
Fancy looking chain but after cutting pine and a few rocks looks are no longer revelant.
I'm really wanting to try the new Swedish or is it Norwegian made Husqvarna chains.
I haven't seen him for a while, he's probably mad at the Stihl/Dolmar guys. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 30, 2019, 12:07:29 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on May 30, 2019, 09:32:12 AM
I'm curious too.
I haven't seen him for a while, he's probably mad at the Stihl/Dolmar guys. :D
I think your right :)
I miss his input,  but I think the MS462, MS500i and the overweight Husqvarna 572XP took the wind out of his sails.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Reddawg

I'm running the EXL on my trusted and true 034 and so far it's been holding up well in elm and various oaks. I can tell that the metal used is a bit harder as my feel on the file handle is a bit less smooth than the LGX.
So far so good, and sure beats the price of the Stihl loops. Going to try one on my 461 soon, with a bigger bar.

outinthewood

I've been running some EXL for a while now and it's ok. A little harder but no worse to file but you have to be careful with the rakers as it's very much an "old school" non bumper link chain unlike the LPX. When I take any chain out I give it a run with the file and on the LPX ( most common chain here in Ire) take 2-3 swipes off the rakers - did it out of habit on the first EXL and it was fairly aggressive ! Have just got a 92Dl C 85 Husqvarna chain so will report back, did notice to touch it's very sharp out of the box.

ehp

EXL is a lot better chain than the LGX, I cut in sand and it holds its edge quite abit better

ehp

been running my new 395 on the landing buck trees into logs ,I have ran the good stihl 3/8 chain on it but in .050 and chain stretches a lot , stihl chain is .063 on top so its plenty heavy enough, ran EXL chain on it yesterday and today , so far not as much stretch but give it another couple days and see how it holds up . Sand is brutal on chain and bars

Ed

Been running EXL on my 046 since it came out, excellent chain, make you forget LGX was ever made.

Ed

thedoublejranch

Been toying with this new EXL chain, reading this thread, I just ordered 3 loops of the stuff. Been running the 72LGX for years.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Thank You Sponsors!