iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS261 or 550XP

Started by 555JM, May 18, 2020, 06:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

555JM

Have decided to get a pro quality 50 cc saw to cut firewood. Looking at several cords this spring. These two seem quite evenly matched, although the Husky list prices are a little less and the power on paper is a bit more.

Looking for something reasonably light, reliable, idles well without quitting, and easy to start, especially when hot. Would probably run a .325 chain if available; on an 18" bar.

Was looking online for a Husky 346XP, but don't see them offered. Would consider Jonsered and Echo as well, but my experience with both is limited to none.

Would like to hear what others have found with these two especially and the others if they're a better saw.

btulloh

Member @HolmenTree did an extensive comparison of these two saws and a while back and documented in a lengthy thread.  It would be worth taking a look at that here:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=96491.0

One consideration would be what dealers are convenient.  That might influence your decision.  

Those are both good saws, but I'm a Stihl guy.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.
HM126

barbender

The Husky 346xp is a discontinued model, replaced by the 550xp. It was an awesome little saw👍 I have one, (346) unfortunately mine had a couple of "lemon" issues that left a bad taste in my mouth, so I ended up getting a Stihl ms261cm. It is a great little saw that rides in my pickup all the time. It's a pretty torquey saw for its  size.Mine has been flawless, it's the electronic carb model. It's bogged a couple of times when it is adjusting to a new temperature, beyond that it just starts and runs👍👍I haven't run a 550, the Holmen comparison mentioned by btulloh is what sealed the deal for me getting the Stihl.
Too many irons in the fire

Eddie Southgate

I have both Stihl and Husqvarna and like both but I lean a tad toward the Stihl's . I have two of tthe MS261C-M saws and intend to keep both from now on . They both start easy every time , run like a top and cut like a demon . Quick revving with lots of torque . I want to have a MM and port job done on one but will be perfectly satisfied with both if that never happens . The thing I don't like about the 550xp is the bubble , they have never needed this before and it's just something else to go wrong . Kind of a pissant thing to put on a saw in my opinion . Other than that I am sure either saw would serve you well .
1997 Husqvarna 272xp 24"
1998 Husqvarna 136 12"-14"
2019 Stihl MS261 CM 16"-20" wearing an 18"
1966 ? Remington Super 754
2019 Stihl MS261CM  20"
Stihl 0041av 20"
Stihl 041av Electronic 20"
Stihl 044av
Stihl 056 Magnum II
1963 Ford 2000
801 Ford
Woodchuck

sawguy21

They are both good saws, very evenly matched. Dealer support would be the key. Do you have a good one for either locally?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Hey guys. It's been a while since I ran those two saws side by side.
Unfortunately at the time I ended up with a 550XP with a out of the box air leak manufactured during Sweden's high summer holiday season.
My dealer replaced it with another model with a spring of that year date.
Yes we went through their whole inventory of sixteen 550XP's and I picked that saw.

Ended up even though that 550 ran good it still had some hot start issues when days got over 80F. The MS261 CM ran flawless in no matter what weather. So I ended up selling the 550XP end of comparison test.

The only thing I regret doing was the muffler model I did on the 261, I opened it up a little too far and wasn't happy with it.
If I did it again I would only enlarge the outlet a 1/16" or 1.5 mm around the radius.

But Husqvarna has since completely redesigned the 550XP and now  called a 550XP MK II. There's some very good reviews and the hot start issues have been taken care of.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

555JM

Quote from: btulloh on May 18, 2020, 06:18:41 PM
Member @HolmenTree did an extensive comparison of these two saws and a while back and documented in a lengthy thread.  It would be worth taking a look at that here:  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=96491.0

One consideration would be what dealers are convenient.  That might influence your decision.  

Those are both good saws, but I'm a Stihl guy.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.
Thanks for the link, btulloh. Haven't read it all, but read enough to learn that the MS261 seems most reliable. Was thinking of getting the non-auto tune model, but may change my mind seeing as how the CM version is so reliable. Like having saws I can work on myself, but there is such a thing as progress.

Dealer support will be important. I have a Husky dealer about 10 miles away and two Stihl dealers, both about 20 miles away in different directions.

Sorry to hear that HolmenTree had issues with his 550XP. Exactly the kind of thing I'd like to avoid (well, I'm sure everyone would).

Pine Ridge

550 xp mark ll is the real deal, yep i've ran them, own an original 550xp, and have ran several 261 stihls.  
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Patrick NC

I just bought a 550xp mark 2 about a week ago.  Had a ms260 for many years and loved it. Unfortunately my helper ran over it with the tractor and rather than fix it I bought the husky. I've got about 5 hours run time on the 550 now and am very impressed.  It's very quick.  Real stout for a 50cc saw. 18" bar , .325 pitch. 

Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Pine Ridge

Quote from: Patrick NC on May 19, 2020, 08:53:30 AM
I just bought a 550xp mark 2 about a week ago.  Had a ms260 for many years and loved it. Unfortunately my helper ran over it with the tractor and rather than fix it I bought the husky. I've got about 5 hours run time on the 550 now and am very impressed.  It's very quick.  Real stout for a 50cc saw. 18" bar , .325 pitch.  

Quote from: Patrick NC on May 19, 2020, 08:53:30 AM
I just bought a 550xp mark 2 about a week ago.  Had a ms260 for many years and loved it. Unfortunately my helper ran over it with the tractor and rather than fix it I bought the husky. I've got about 5 hours run time on the 550 now and am very impressed.  It's very quick.  Real stout for a 50cc saw. 18" bar , .325 pitch.  

Congrats on your new saw purchase, they are strong for a 50cc saw.

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

gspren

To the OP, either saw will last for so many years of your type usage that you shouldn't let price sway the decision. On the same day go and handle each one and see what feels "right" in your hands regardless of what others say. Getting the saw that felt the best will be worth the most smiles in the long run.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

RedRowan

I'm a creature of habit and more familiar with Husqvarna saws than I am with Stihl so it just feels more natural to me to when I pick up a Husqvarna saw. I liked my old 346xp and my old 550xp which I had no problems with. They handled very naturally for me and were great every day saws for most of the cutting I did. It was rare for me to need any more saw. Now I need a new saw and am itching to get my hands on a 550xp mk2 but the climate where I am now can get up to the nineties and I have concerns about the previous issues which many people in hotter areas reported about the mk1. I'd like to read more reviews before I commit to buying one. When you've been using the same tools for years it's easy to become a creature of habit even when there are good alternatives. 

sawguy21

You are overthinking it. :D The hot start issues have been dealt with on the mark 2, the reports from the field are very favorable.

Greenerpastures

They are both good saws, the Husqvarna is a little heavier,
it's a new design nothing like the older model that gave trouble.

Either will do a good job, if prices is lower on one, then take it,
a good dealer with parts and knowledge is also not to be overlooked.

There are some video on YouTube of the 550, search for outinthewood,
he posted them.

Crusarius

I love my 261cm torquiest little saw I have ever run.

only thing I dislike about it a ton is no primer bubble. When you run it out of fuel it takes forever to get it to start

Patrick NC

I've had a chance to run my 550 a good bit over the last couple of weeks.  Probably went through about 20 tanks of gas.  Mostly cutting cedar and some smaller hickory and white oak. No problems at all. After the first few tanks of gas,  it really started to run strong.  Very happy with it at this point. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

555JM

FWIW, l ended up buying an MS261C from a new dealer I didn't know about who is 7 miles away. Haven't used the 261 yet, but probably will before the week's over.

What finally pushed me into spending the $ was my Dolmar 5100S started acting really strange and then wouldn't start. My local Dolmar support had disappeared and Dolmar parts were hard to find online. However, once I put a new plug in the Dolmar and got a reasonable tune on the carb, it seems to have come back. There still may be an issue, but it takes a while to show up.

So now I've got 2 50cc saws or will have until the Dolmar dies again.

Thanks to all for the help.

Spike60

What's also important with these electronic saws is having a dealer who is willing to plug them in and do a quick update when needed. Anyone buying them should ask their dealer, "What's the deal if I need a reset?" Takes less than 5 minutes. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and shouldn't have to wait in a 2 week que with the normal saw work. We don't charge anything for the regulars.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Reddtigger

glad that you finalized your purchase.

I wanted to add that I had a 261 and loved it, but it was small for a very big tree i needed to cut. so that went to a 362cm and that was too small too, so traded that to the 462Rcm and thats a good size saw.. but feeling the missing smaller saw, so I'll be going back an purchasing another 261cm in the very near (2week) future.

From all my research I've done over the last year, and in speaking with several arborists, the 261cm is one hellova saw and is widely loved.

gspren

Reddtigger, you should have at least 2 saws anyway and the 261-462 makes a good combo.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sawguy21

I would without question go to my local Stihl dealer, he and his tech know saws. I have dealt with the Husky shops in neighboring towns both as a distributor rep and customer and won't go back.

Nebraska

Just two saws say_what.... I don't understand...

sawguy21

Thank You Sponsors!