iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut lumber for my old Shop Teacher

Started by Chuck White, July 22, 2009, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Last week I got a call from my old high school Wood-Working Shop Teacher.
He wanted to know if I could saw out some basswood for him.
I said "sure", when will the logs be stacked and ready.  He said they'll be ready by night-fall!
Well, Sunday morning I pulled in with the WM and he came out of the house smiling.

Got the mill all set up in about 15-20 minutes and he said boy that's quick.  I said "about average"!
Anyway, the first log went on and he said "full inch", I said that's what we call 4/4, he said OK.
I finished that log and he had a nice little pile of boards!  He smiled and said "mor'n I thought was in that little log"!

Anyway, I got done a few hours later and he had 600 bf of random width 4/4 boards and he was happy.
He thought that ole Wood-Mizer was about the coolest thing he'd ever seen.

Sorry for all the ramblin', but these are the kind of jobs that  a sawyer dreams of getting.  Really made my day.  8)

Chuck

edit:  Actually made me feel really great inside.  This is especially true since he taught me so much in High School.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Raider Bill

What a great story! I remember my old shop teacher as a real nice guy. Turned out he was in North Africa with my Uncle during WW2. He knew it at the time I was in school but never told anyone. Sure kept me out of trouble in High school. Well some of it anyway.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

beenthere

Chuck
Invite him in to the Forum. He could be a real asset here.

Might even find out a bit about you as one in his class.   ::) ::) 8) 8)

;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don_Papenburg

WELL  that sure put a damper on him inviting the shop teacher in. ;D
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

DanG

Yep, that is a great story indeed!!  When you think back on it in the future, Chuck, I bet you find that it made a whole lot more than your day! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawmilllawyer

Well Chuck, you gonna or not? My wood shop teacher died of a heart attack many years ago. Would have been nice to have cut some logs for him though.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

SwampDonkey

Shop was great! Oh, we had to read up on some tools and stuff, but it was more practical and a lot less book learn'n. The exams were based on common sense and multiple choice. I don't remember anyone having trouble on the tests.  ;D But, our teacher wasn't much of a teacher or a carpenter. 

Mom mentioned something about fashioning a wooden peg and not hurting the dog. She grew up and went to school with the guy. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

Sure met a lot of nice people sawing over the years.  Over here I'll stick with inches, 4/4   5/4  6/4 etc  doesn't cover  5/8   3/4   13/16  7/8  1-1/16  1-1/8 etc very well.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Most shop teachers are regular guys closer to us than the acidemic types.Their is no better compliment for any teacher than seeing you use what they tought you.[I never really picked up the spelling thing]Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

james04

I recall my eight grade shop teacher taking our class one notch higher than what was expected. We first had to learn the basics of drafting and then we got to build a wall mounted cabinet clock with glass doors. Oh it was bass wood we by the way. He felt poplar was not good enough. Well my mom still has that clock and I am amazed every time I see it. Thinking that that teacher really had some nerve to expect eight graders to build something so advanced. I am always great full for what he taught us.

It is a shame that the shop programs have been removed from allot of the schools. After all you cant expect to make a living with your hands.

James

ARKANSAWYER

Oh the days of Shop!  One time we had a large trash can and would stand back by the welding bays.  We took the table saw out into the middle of the floor and with the blade about 1/2 " up we would push small chuncks of wood onto the blade from the back side.  They would "shoot" across the shop and we would see if we could catch them in the trash can.  Oh what fun!  No wonder they took it out of school.?
ARKANSAWYER

farmboy1tn

my shop teacher was a great teacher and teached for many years till the school system said it was to dangerous to continue offering the class. he should turned out many carpenters a craftsmen over the years and alot of them became well know bussiness men.

tyb525

No shop at my school :( Where did my love for sawmills and all things wood come from, anyways? :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ScottAR

Shop was the only reason to go to school when I was school age.
Twas the place I learned about "doing" things instead of dead
presidents and where to commas and periods...

That other stuff is important just not as interesting. 

Our town is building a new high school and I was very pleased to
find a big chunk of blueprint that said "ag shop" on it... 

Can't everybody be a paper pusher... Someone has to get dirty
eventually...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

backwoods sawyer

Between forestry l and ll, shop l, ll, lll we took trees all the way from planting, to harvest, to the mill, to finished product. Oh and being in the timber capital of the world, there are a lot off big mills, and logging companies demanding better educated, high school and collage students. Having a couple good teachers that do not allow horseplay, and are willing to go beyond the basics makes it a worthwhile experience. I always enjoy milling for a high school class.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!