iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper chain length for my saw?

Started by logman81, November 28, 2013, 11:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I recently just bought a used jonsered 630 super in really good shape. My problem is trying to figure out how many links of chain I need . It currently has a Windsor  20" bar and a seven tooth sprocket and a 72 link chain. The chain is to long even with the adjuster maxed out. I need a chain with less links but don't know how many?
Precision Firewood & Logging

Ward Barnes

I don't know your saw or bar, however, if the chain is to long to adjust it may have stretched past the adjustable length of your saw.  If that is the case removing one link will solve the problem.  God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Maine logger88

I believe I remember reading somewhere that Windsor made some 20 in bars that needed a 70 driver chain
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

logman81

Maine logger88

I probably read it on here but I have no clue what thread I suppose you could take 2 out and try it. A friend of mine had a 630 seemed to be a good old saw I think there similar to a 266 husky
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

logman81

Yup just took two drive links out and it fits now so 70 links, now I know what size to get for it.

turnkey

Quote from: logman81 on November 28, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
Yup just took two drive links out and it fits now so 70 links, now I know what size to get for it.

If the chain had stretched a 70 may be to short, If so, a couple bucks to have someone insert one link will fix it.

Harry K

logman81

No the chain was fairly new so I don't think their was much stretch.

bandmiller2

A serious chainsaw user should own a tool to break and mend chains even if its just the granberg tool that's built on a pair of vicegrips.Many times I picked up new chains at flea markets and yard sales that just needed to be shortened, for chump change. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

martyinmi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 30, 2013, 07:15:37 AM
A serious chainsaw user should own a tool to break and mend chains even if its just the granberg tool that's built on a pair of vicegrips.Many times I picked up new chains at flea markets and yard sales that just needed to be shortened, for chump change. Frank C.
I've thought about buying one and doing my own chains, but that's as far as I've got.
Our local Stihl dealer will shorten a chain for 4 bucks.
I know it's right when he's done with it.
The job probably wouldn't be quite as right if I cobbled it together! :-[
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

NCFarmboy

Every Windsor 20" 3/8 that I have or have seen is 70dl.  4 of mine are.  So I assume they are all 70dl.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

beenthere

This left me curious, as my 1975 Stihl 041 had a Windsor 20" bar on it running 3/8" Stihl chain. Thought it was the same chain as the 20" bar on my new Stihl MS361.

Replaced the bar on the 041 with a Windsor bar from Bailey's as the nose roller on the old Windsor bar (original for all those chains all those 30 years) was worn out.
Just looked at the label on the Windsor bar packaging and it has this. Indicates 72.
Am I missing something?  Wouldn't be the first time. :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 28, 2013, 11:16:15 AM
I believe I remember reading somewhere that Windsor made some 20 in bars that needed a 70 driver chain

I am sure they did, as did other brands. It was more common earlier than it is by now.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on November 30, 2013, 02:54:37 PM
This left me curious, as my 1975 Stihl 041 had a Windsor 20" bar on it running 3/8" Stihl chain. Thought it was the same chain as the 20" bar on my new Stihl MS361.

Replaced the bar on the 041 with a Windsor bar from Bailey's as the nose roller on the old Windsor bar (original for all those chains all those 30 years) was worn out.
Just looked at the label on the Windsor bar packaging and it has this. Indicates 72.
Am I missing something?  Wouldn't be the first time. :)

Some times it matters which bar mount the bar is for, as well as when the bar was made.
Called bar lengths seldom are accurate.

In most cases there is a clue on the bar about the dl count it is meant for, even when the bar is quite worn.  ;)

...but then there are factors like sprocket size that may change the dl Count you actually need in a given situation..... smiley_roller
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!