iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question about using cedar on deck,

Started by 123maxbars, November 06, 2011, 07:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I just built a new deck on the back of my house. I have some nice dried cedar that I would like to use on the hand rails around the deck. I would like to put something on them so the color doesn't fade and to protect them from the elements, any suggestions? I havent worked with cedar much, any help is appreciated. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I built some cedar furniture 2 years ago. I rubbed it down with a Tongue Oil I got at Lowe's. It really and I mean really brought out the RED. The rain water just rolled off of it like it was on a duck's back. You'll need to apply this oil on a yearly bases.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jasperfield

I used Red Cedar for the floor of the covered porch between my house and shop. The red has faded, but returns when the floor is wet. I didn't use any preservative because it is cedar, and the surface has worn very well. I would expect problems from a surface-treatment preservative rather than benefits. Red Cedar will stand well to weather and use.

Unless the wood is wet, I would not expect the color to be vivid for much longer than a year or so.

You'll be pleased with its durability and weather resistance.

stumpy

I use Sikkens log siding finish on my outdoor adirondak chairs.  Holds up great for many years.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

ARKANSAWYER

Eastern red cedar is hard to keep red outside.  UV blocker is the key and it should be an oil based product.  Helmsman Spar urathaine does a pretty fair job.  Behr used to make a great product but it is off the market now.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!