iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How big a pad for mill.

Started by ohiowoodchuck, April 07, 2021, 12:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

Hey guys. I'm going to order a woodmizer lx25 next week. Since there behind 23 weeks, I figured this would give me time to get a pad poured. So I was going to order a track extension, so I can saw 16' lumber. How much longer then 16' should I pour. Also how wide should I go. I'd like to be able to walk along the mill on concrete instead of uneven ground. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

petefrom bearswamp

The pad for my mill (now gone) is 12x26, modified alaskan slab, 6" 3500# mix with re rod around the edges and wire in the main slab.
Been there since 01 and still 100 percent intact.
IMO dont skimp on size or design.
My mill shelter is now my winter boat storage.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Woodpecker52

Think about shed and lumber storage under roof and off the ground, then there is that dry kiln and saw sharpening shop and so on... etc.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

ohiowoodchuck

Thanks for the info. I got a good sized pole barn to store in. I just don't want the mill inside. 

mart

I poured a slab last fall for my LT15. Mine has a 24 foot bed. The pad is 16x36. I plan to build a shed around the mill this year. Here's a couple of pictures. If you're not building a shed then you could easily get by with less pad. After years of milling on whatever ground the mill was on, it's nice to be able to walk on a flat, solid surface. Makes sawdust clean up a lot easier as well.

Freshly poured and broom finished.

With the mill in place after three weeks of curing. Temps were getting low so I waited a bit before placing the mill.

I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

slider

I started with a 10x22 pad on the side of my shelter just for the mill. After fighting wet uneven ground and water for years i pored the whole shelter 50x148 . Now i can stack lumber so much better and scoop sawdust much better. Clean up under the mill with a backpack blower is done in 10 minutes . 
al glenn

Ohioian

FYI ordered my lx25 the 1st week of September and was told mid December to early January, 7 weeks later received a call that the saw was ready to ship.
  Set mine up on a 10' x 20' wooden platform and wish I would have gone 16' x 30'. Like a few have stated a little larger comes in handy

alan gage

If you're not pinching pennies I'd go big enough for a functional building. Someday you might decide you want to put a roof over the mill or someday you might move the mill (or sell the mill) which will leave you with an empty pad asking for a building to be erected on it.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

firefighter ontheside

I have an LT15 with only 12' of track.  I put up an 18x26 carport and have a 7x18 pad poured at one end.  That gives me enough room for the mill and then about 3' of walking space on the operator side.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

ohiowoodchuck

Thanks for all the input men. You gave me some other ideas to look at before I pour the pad. 

thecfarm

No idea on the size, but haul in some good fill and make it high to get the water away from it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ktm250rider

What ever  you settle on, add 4 to both.  And it will probably still be too small!

Thank You Sponsors!