iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this silver maple??

Started by Mtbehm, March 17, 2018, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mtbehm

Just starting to get into the milling and have done cedar and walnut, trying to figure out identifying other species without leaves growing yet!

someone told me this is silver maple is that correct? Thanks!

JohnW

Mtbehm

This is in nebraska if that helps at all! 

DPatton

Looks like silver maple bark to me.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Mtbehm

Awesome thanks for the help guys!  I have some silver maple trees at home but nothing near this big to compare to, the bark on the smaller ones is a little different but similar so just figured I would turn to the knowledgeable folks on here! 

On any note, is it worth milling? In what I have read it seems that there are good uses for it but what's your opinions on it? Thanks

ToddsPoint

It looks like is grew kind of spiral.  Trees here that grow on the windy prairie look like that.  Might have some issues when drying.  Twisted grain tends to move.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

PA_Walnut

Looks like maple to me also. When you saw it, focus on getting your wood from the sapwood and not the darker heartwood in the center. It's backwards from say, walnut and cherry where the sap is NOT desirable, and the heartwood is.

Get it on good sticks asap also. Maple likes to stain quickly unless very cold weather.

Good luck!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

TKehl

FWIW, I have no market for nice white Maple, but spalted stuff that has set a while sells well.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ron Scott

~Ron

Brad_bb

Looks like Silver Maple to me.  I don't mill or use any.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!