iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venison Bacon Burger Burgers.

Started by Jeff, January 19, 2017, 06:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We mixed our ground venison with ground hickory smoked Bacon. Can you taste it? I sure can!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I will be knocking on your day in about 22 hours.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

That looks good :)
I can eat the burgers but without the buns
No more white bread for me it's going to be hard
I can eat whole wheat buns
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

Do you do that because the venison is so lean, of just because it's tasty? food6
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Dave, this buck was so busy being a man he didn't have one spec of fat and was still heavily invested in the rut. That's why he became bacon burger burgers. :)

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gspren

What ratio between venison and bacon did you use? I had some a few years ago that was great but the person I got it from didn't make it or know .
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jeff

Hah!  It was exactly some of this and more of that. I don't know how much venison we had, but I guess we used about 7lbs of a ten lb box of ends and pieces BACON, which looked like full slices to me.  If I had to guess, we had 35lbs of venison.

coxy

looks good     when I do venison burger or sausage I do 50/50 but some times not enough pork so a 60v 40p work

WV Sawmiller

Looks real good. Never thought about using the bacon bits and pieces for that. Hard to find them here now.

I use 4:1 deer to pork. Use either ground pork or sometimes buy a fat Boston butt and grind with it. Still need to grease the pan when cooking them as too lean with that mixture. Usually when we cook the sausage my wife cooks bacon in the same pan so that grease the skillet.

I estimate 1/3 of the live weight of a deer as boned out weight. Shot a 175 8pt this year with a little better return but that is always pretty close. I bone out everything except the neck which we just cook as a roast. Much easier to separate the meat off the neck after it is cooked and it is a pretty tasty roast.

How do those Mississippi deer compare to the ones up in the great frozen north country?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

That looks great.I like some sharp cheddar ground up with it also. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Jeff

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 21, 2017, 06:06:40 PM

How do those Mississippi deer compare to the ones up in the great frozen north country?

I think the ones down south spend a lot more time breeding than ours. If our deer were as lean as the bucks get down there, they would never make it through an average winter let alone a bad one.  The bucks down there as soon as they get done breeding, they can focus on feeding. Our deer have to focus on just surviving.  I can tell you one thing, the magic bucks are awesome!

Eating wise? couldn't say. I got a Michigan Buck and a Mississippi buck that had been very busy doing what bucks do, so, not the best subjects for a food comparison.  My U.P, buck was tough, the Mississippi buck had no chance to be tough cause he got to mingle in a mix of BACON!

albirk

Jeff how does the grinder work? I have looked at them but did not no how well it would work. A grinder is still on the wish list.

Jeff

That's an attachment for Tammy's Mixmaster. Certainly not as fast as a commercial grinder, but we ground and shrink wrapped the entire deer, including trimming the meat in about an hour.

Jeff

WV Sawmiller

Looking at the vacuum packed burger reminds me that is how we make our sausage and burger patties. Make meat balls (I use an ice cream scoop) the size we want the finished patty to be. I put them on cookie sheets till my wife puts them in the unsealed plastic sleeves then she flattens them in the sleeve and seals it.  They break apart easily when frozen if you only want 1 or 2.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

I like to flatten the vacuum sealed packages somewhat for two reasons. Stacking for one. The other is thawing. They thaw for use much faster in a flat package versus a roll or big lump.

Our first deer we packaged way different then all the deer we have done in the past.  We decided to simply devide the muscle groups and freeze those without slicing. That way, we can do what ever we want when we get it out. It is hard to un-slice or un-grind something. This way we have any option. Roast, steaks, stew or burger.

drobertson

Good job on the harvest! Ground up makes for a lot versatilty, I like to grind up as well at times, but find other times a good rear ham separated out to indviual loins makes fine fare in the way of steaks, grilled wrapped with bacon a good medium in doneness , fact is its just all good!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

That shrink wrapped burger looks to be about the right size, but where do you find the bun to go with it?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

I figure there is a little less than 1.5 lb per package, give or take

Dave Shepard

Sounds about right for a burger.

:D

WV Sawmiller

For just me and my wife we package our burgers in 3 to a pack. Normally my wife will eat one and I will eat 2. Probably between 1/3 & 1/2 lb patties so if she makes spaghetti or HB Helper or such still about the right amount there.

We do same thing when we package catfish fillets/nuggets and make enough for about 3 people so plenty for us with enough leftover for one more meal for one of us or to feed a guest if they happen to be there when we cook the fish. If more people we can always open up another package. Same thing when canning - we now use a lot more pint jars than quarts.
Howard Green

coxy

do any of you guys use a cuber for the steaks/cutlets  I got one a few years ago and have no idea how I ever lived with out one    I use to grind every thing but the back straps but now I cut cutlets out of the h quarters and don't have to chew till my jaw gets a cramp in it  :D

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: coxy on January 22, 2017, 06:34:33 PM
do any of you guys use a cuber for the steaks/cutlets  I got one a few years ago and have no idea how I ever lived with out one    I use to grind every thing but the back straps but now I cut cutlets out of the h quarters and don't have to chew till my jaw gets a cramp in it  :D

Yes, I use one I got from Cabela's 3 years ago. Best $99 I ever spent. Manual operation, simple to use and clean. I think we run our steaks through there 2 times and tender as can be. I'd even consider cubing the backstraps except I now grind them for jerky.
Howard Green

Magicman

I borrowed and used this on Elk steaks a few years ago.

It is an old commercial unit that did an excellent job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!