iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic winch, model 19 on Cat 518

Started by logloper, May 03, 2011, 09:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logloper

I'm haveing trouble with the winch on my skidder. It wont quit reeling in. I read some old posts on here and tried the advice, not fixing the problem. I took the brake band off and cleaned up good. Dont see any way to adjust it. Pulled the outer clutch band and cleaned. The piston which engages it is working well. I released the adjustment bolt on the inner clutch band, and cleaned on top of and under it good. No dust or oil present on it. Put it all back together. I dont understand how the inner clutch band works. I found the adjustment screw thar pushes the lever against the drum, but is that all their is? What makes it work?  After putting all back together, the winch still winds in all the time. Even with the inner clutch band adjusted all the way open. If I shut off the skidder and mess with the adjustment screw, it freewheals . As soon as I pull the lever to make it winch in, it will no longer freewheal. Sure is getting aggravating.  I hooked the bulline to a stump and drove back and forth quite a bit trying to burn the bands back in, until they were smoking. Didnt seem to help.  Any help would sure be appreciated
         Thanks in advance

captain_crunch

Little band applys big band there is a toggle block at anchor point (rear of houseing) my guess is it is siezed  that was our problem
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bushmechanic

Just a thought is the master control working properly seems like there pressure is not releasing once you use the engagement for the drum.

logloper

Capn,
          I had both clutch bands out and didnt find anything hooking the two together. Thats part of what has me puzzeled. How does the inner clutch band engage or disengage? I find nothing going from the outer band to the inner one to engage it.
         Bush,
                 I think the master control is fine because you can watch it work. It never makes the inner band move, but you can watch the outer one engage or disengage.
                 Thanks for the input, I'll take all I can get.

rick f

here is a link to the manuel for the 19.

http://www.partsfinder.ca/Winchs/partsbook.html

good luck
when it's right , it's a real pullen son of a gun.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Stephen Alford

Hey logloper, I think bushmechanic is on the right track. Both plungers in your master cylinder in the cab have a very small hole in the side of them. No bigger than a needle. If these holes are plugged it does not work right. You have to use one of those manual drills the size of a pencil with a small bit that goes in one end. Careful not to break the bit in the hole. Just a thought, hope you find the problem.  :)
logon

captain_crunch

I belive what I am babbling about is either #1 or #33 hard to tell in the pic (fig 14) top right. could nt really see it easly but it has a bolt going thru houseing to holding it and it applys power from small band to big band and has to move freely to release this was our problem
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ed_K

When you put the bands back,did you adjust part 19&20 ?the half moon clips there's 3 on each band.
Ed K

logloper

I did adjust the cams according to the specs in book. I have the book on the winch, but still cant find the lever hooking the inner band to the outer one. I will clean the holes out on the master cylinder rod. The inner band has an adjusting bolt with two 3/4 nuts on it. The bolts tighten or loosen a lever to the band. Is this the lever you are talking about? Even loosened all the way the band still hangs up. It has to move in conjunction with the outer band, otherwise what purpose would the band have?

rick f

On the clutch page , part #22 ( clutch lever). Is that loose so it will release the band? Some times old grease will get hard and not let it release.

Just a thought.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Ed_K

On my winch the drum is bent some so if I adjust the cams to spec,the line will draw in some then stop then when the drum gets all the way around it draws again.So I have the bands set about .100 away from the inside of the drum.It works but at times I have a hard time pulling out the cable when the high spot comes around.I think the shaft got bent when a hitch was pulled up to tight.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!