iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Site layout

Started by postville, March 21, 2011, 07:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

What is the best site layout you have found for sawing with 2 men? For 3 men?
Where do you put your slabs and lumber? Does the sawyer work ahead of the pullers and the flow go to the hitch end(front) of the mill as suggested by WM?
On the job I am set up on now, the flow is to the rear of the mill with two men pulling. One man comes to the right side of the mill to set the log clamp and pull the slab, he then goes to the left side and pulls boards. We are building bundles of stickered flitch cut wood in a rack with a backboard and one end board on the right side. 48" wide, 20 layers to a package.  There is no edging.
I walk to the right side after going about half way down, take off the clamp and flip the cant if it is small. I saw the rest of the way down with no clamp. After cutting the last board I get on the loader and move in with the next log. We did not set up a log deck but get 3-4 logs at a time on the forks.
Works but I do not like having to go way up to clear the sawn board on the gig back. It seems if the boards are oulled from behind me I would only need to raise up 1/4 inch for the gig back.
I am finishing up the job with only one helper so I am reevaluating the site layout. Any suggestions would be welcome. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

woodmills1

I think there be a long running thread here about this
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

postville

Can you recall the thread subject name?
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Magicman

I'm portable and find that each situation is a bit different due to log stagings and terrain.  Some want the lumber stickered on site, while others will haul it to a different location.  I've never really seen a "one size fits all".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sparks

Here is a PDF that will show you a few different ways for a layout.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Wintergreen Mountain

I agree wth Magicman, Every site has its own layout.
The link that jeff reffered to is full of info. Check it out. 
Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Thank You Sponsors!