iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started the build.

Started by fishfighter, April 08, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmilllawyer

Those floors look great! Sounds like the A/C was the ticket for your sanding marathon. Keep on plugging away you will get there.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Magicman

Quote from: fishfighter on June 23, 2019, 07:16:57 PMJust hope I get some rain to help cool things down
Looks like you are getting your wet wish.  I am too.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Got out this morning and made a couple hundred feet of shoe mold. Super hot and called it a day at 10am. :( Didn't take any pictures. :(

SwampDonkey

Looking good. :)

I never installed AC here, as we are north of the snow line. We have been lucky so far, only had to days in the 80's and one was a dry air and the last one yesterday was a muggy 87. This is feeling more like a northern summer, 70's and maybe 1-2 days of muggy heat once in awhile. The last two summers was 90's for 3 months. I may eventually get a unit next year, but we also have the furnace to bring dryer cool air up from the basement. Tonight it is 53% down there and 65% up stairs since windows are open and it has been a stretch of shower weather. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishfighter

Down here, one has to have a ac like people up north need heating.

Still on the fence on what to use for the flooring. I did order a gallon of Waterlux. Was told it's a outstanding product for flooring.

Saturday, I had picked up our new family.

7 week old Boykin. My old dog is not a happy camper. ;D

Yesterday, got some time on the sawmill. 8) Had SIL doing most of the work due to we sawed up well over 400sf of lap siding for him. Besides, I did all the hard work breaking down a 30" butt syp log by myself. I did sawed that up to get the most quarter sawed out of it. 8)

fishfighter

Really haven't been doing much on the house. Been down in Panama City with the wife, daughter and her family. That has been the first trip I took in almost 12 years.

I did get some shoe mold up in the living room. Didn't have my phone with me, so no pictures. :(

The weather here is super hot. I will try tomorrow start applying so of that waterlox in the back bedroom. This is the product I will be using. https://www.waterlox.com/about/

Anybody ever used it in the pass?

On a side note. Our little pup is coming along fine. Even the old dog is acting young again. ;D

Magicman

Not used it, but it's good to see you back.  Been wondering where you were, but I do understand HOT.  I will not be sawing anything until the end of August or maybe even September.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Hey Lynn, hope you been taking it easy with the hot weather. DanG heat index been above 105 to as high as 108F. No wind at all. :o

Did get a couple pictures of that molding I hung. It is 3/4"x 1 1/8" shoe molding with a small lip.

Reason of installing it, I had a gap from the post to the sheetrock. That will keep getting wider over time as the post shrink to dry out the next couple years.

Still trying to make or find someone to make some crown molding for the ceilings. Still no luck there. :(

btulloh

You can cut some nifty cove moulding on a tablesaw that makes for a nice crown moulding. It's kind of fussy but works well if you don't need 1000 ft. It's an interesting technique.
HM126

fishfighter

Going to need about 1k '. :D

btulloh

Ha. Of course. It's possible just a little time consuming.

Seems like somebody on here with a molder could run a batch for you.
HM126

fishfighter

Bad thing right now is that I don't have enough stock on hand. :( So that will put some things way behind. :( I still have a couple dead standing water oak trees that should be somewhat dried. ;D Might try to fell them this week, but if that low pressure storm over Fla moves out in the Gulf, all bets are off. Getting some forecast to as much as 20+" of rain here.  :o

Magicman

Remember too that you can make crown molding by stacking individual width pieces/strips that have different router designs.  Round over, bead, cove, etc. stacked will produce some nice molding.

samandothers

Waterlox is good since it can be touched up.   It does give an amber tint to the wood. Look forward to seeing how it  finishes up.

fishfighter

Well, I just finished putting down the first coat in the back bedroom. Yep, I'm a happy camper. I did some test were the kitchen island is going to be with two kinds of varnish. Wasn't happy at all.

Back bedroom.

Going to take no less then 4 coats. No sanding in between coats, 24 hour drying time per coat.

sawmilllawyer

That really makes the grain pop in that floor for  sure! I like it a lot.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

fishfighter

Got the second coat down this morning.

Two more to go. 10x more easy then using any varnish. ;D

Crusarius

just using a roller or brush?

SwampDonkey

I know some of these finishes say no sanding required, even what I am using on the stairs and rail. But sanding will be done between coats. Of course a floor sanding is a heck of a lot bigger job. ;)

https://www.minwax.ca/wood-products/hardwood-floor-finishing/minwax-super-fastdrying-polyurethane-for-floors-350-voc
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishfighter

Quote from: Crusarius on July 10, 2019, 01:59:34 PM
just using a roller or brush?

Sheep skin. Cost $15 local. Have to use paint thinner to clean up.

fishfighter

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 10, 2019, 02:12:25 PM
I know some of these finishes say no sanding required, even what I am using on the stairs and rail. But sanding will be done between coats. Of course a floor sanding is a heck of a lot bigger job. ;)

https://www.minwax.ca/wood-products/hardwood-floor-finishing/minwax-super-fastdrying-polyurethane-for-floors-350-voc

Used that in the front bedroom over rosewood. I will have to go back and hit it with a lite sand for a third coat.

Crusarius

woh some simple sheepskin rag? that has to go on real fast and easy.

samandothers

Looks really good!   Hope you had some good ventilation that stuff will leave ya light headed!  

fishfighter

Quote from: Crusarius on July 10, 2019, 03:10:55 PM
Quote from: samandothers on July 10, 2019, 06:19:43 PM
Looks really good!   Hope you had some good ventilation that stuff will leave ya light headed!  

woh some simple sheepskin rag? that has to go on real fast and easy.

There is a wood pad and a painters poll screws in.

Yep, windows open in just that room and running a big old box attic fan pointing out the back door. Bad thing, I had to shut down the fan and close windows due to the weather. :(

fishfighter

Thank You Sponsors!