iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather 2024

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2024, 12:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

A new year for the weather thread.
22° and maybe 3 inches of snow on the ground. Small ponds not even frozen over.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

+3C here at midnight and no snow. If we don't get some soon it is going to be a  long dry summer again.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Snowed here for 3 days, but only 2-3" inches. 16F here this morning. And going to get colder later in the week. Ski hills here are struggling, not enough snow for cross country skis either. The road here is about half plowed as usual, so a kick sled will work fine on the road shoulders. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

21*F . measured 5" snow from the last round. wet stuff but dried
out now so xc skiing is good out in the open, not enough for woods trails.
Been too soft and wet to get the tractor out for trail clearing of blowdowns but got some limbing done . Some sun on tap.
Solar hot water production has been dismal for awhile.   
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Been overcast all day, about 22F here. Had some squalls.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Did not get above freezing today.
Tomorow full sun and the 38°.
Two days ago, where I saw the wood for firewood, was soft.
Still kinda soft, but when I turn sharp, I don't plow up the ground. It's started to freeze a little.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

16F this morning, won't get above freezing here. Sun for a change possibly, since the moon and stars are out. But that can change quick. Often it clouds over at day break. ::)

Another house or shack fire up the road last night. Not sure where at, never went for a drive to see.

woodroe

Feels like a January morning out there @ 7* F. No wind is good.
Poking some yellow birch to the woodstove trying
to warm things up . Sunny and mid 30s later.

SwampDonkey

Fire was false alarm they said. Went to house that was all in darkness, no one home.

Jim_Rogers

47° and sunny in eastern NC today.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

barbender

It is supposed to hit 30° here today, and then drop off to "normal" January temps for us. It has already frozen back up the last 3-4 days.

I have to go check on the swamp road out to the timber sale I have. It was starting to freeze down, I could drive my pickup out across it. But with the unusually warm weather we were having, I didn't dare put any wood on the ground until I knew I had it froze down enough for haul trucks. Well, then things thawed out completely so I am back at square one. But when the nights start dipping down to 0° or below, the roads freeze down fast.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Thursday onward will be down into single numbers here. The ice on my wet crossing was 5" thick before the thaw. I suspect it's still solid. Brooks here are still wide open and the beaver pond only had a skim of ice before the thaw. The beavers have been expanding the pond to. The water used to be just at the boundary line, now it is 20 feet across in one spot.  :snowball: I bet that pond is 5 acres. Then a smaller one above about an acre.

Ljohnsaw

Supposed to get the first real snow tonight. Six to twelve inches above 4,000'. Cabin is at 5,800'+. Maybe an inch of rain down here. Repeat on Saturday and again early next week. Currently, nothing on the ground up there. Last year at this point I think there was 6 to 8 feet.

Edit: 11pm I80 closed over the summit.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

woodroe you need to move up my way,  :D   I think I had 12°.
But I bet at the Souther Farm, it was 7°. They are only about 10 minutes from me.
As I say, that bog I cross would have been that cold too. That is about a 2 minute ride by a car.
I have not been by Mosher in daylight. But that has to be froze over now. Had temps below freezing for more then 48 hours and today was only a few hours above freezing.

twar

Windy, 14°F. 18" of snow-officially, but the wind means 2" in some places and 4 ft in others. It should be sunny, but well below 0°F by the end of the week.

SwampDonkey

We had sun for half a day, then the cloud cover moved in. Got to 26F here yesterday. The temp didn't drop much below that last night. Going to get to barely above freezing today. And then going to drop like a rock for the rest of the week, not even into the 20's for highs.  :snowball:

woodroe

Warmer this morning, 21*.
Ray, saw a guy 50' out on Norcross pond fishing yesterday afternoon so making ice again.
Looked like he had a Bald Eagle hanging around.
Been across the valley from you alot since March Ray, Bragdon Rd.
Picked up some work to pay for my newer truck and became the caretaker
of the place. Good part time gig local. Camp on 80 acres w/18 acre beaver pond, pvt. airfield.

Old Greenhorn

Well last week was still mild-ish with daytime highs around low 40's and lows at night in the mid to low 30's with pretty much solid, depressing cloud cover. Around Thursday that began to drop and now we have has lows in the low 20's at night and mid thirties. Yesterday was a low of 19 and a high of 38 (for just 20 minutes) and we had a bunch of sun. The nights have been really clear and crisp.
Seems like we are a week or two behind SD and Ray, do I figure in a week or two we should hang down in the freezing numbers. It is good to feel the ground getting stiff finally, but it's not machine stiff yet. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Norcross :o
Have to watch them guys on Norcross!!
I saw them out about 20 feet a few weeks back. The only reason they was only out 20 feet was because they ran out of ice.  :o :o
Nice link you posted.

SwampDonkey

Can't even go out on the dead water of the head pond here. Very thin ice, places with open water along shore to. The Big Presque Isle River by here is ice free, not even slush floating by. Will be by Monday as there are 3 or 4 cold days well below freezing for highs coming up.

I think we got to 34F here yesterday, no sun. Dark clouds and a blue haze look of rain.

Stephen1

-10C here with touch of snow to make it look like winter. The lake is only froze half way across .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Chuck White

This morning is the first time this winter that we have more than an inch of snow.
We now have about 2 inches of snow and 26°f.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

28F this morning with a veil of fog over the land. :D

thecfarm

Wind started about noon time.
Makes it a little more on the cold side.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, wind started kicking up around 5:00 pm here. It was 32F then, it's 19F now at 6:40 pm.  fire_smiley

Thank You Sponsors!