iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blades for Pine and Oak

Started by Amelia Farms, February 13, 2012, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Farms

Well, I have about used up the blades that the former owner gave me when I bought the saw and I need to order some new ones. I am not even sure what he gave me, they weren't new and weren't labeled. The saw is a WM LT40 (gas engine). I went to the Woodmizer blade selector and got results all over the map. Just wanted to see what folks here are using. Mostly I saw Southern Yellow Pine and Red and White Oak. Also, do you folks specify any particular set when you order blades?
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

jdtuttle

The only band I use are woodmizers 10 Degree. I saw white pine, hemlock, red & white oak, cherry other hardwoods & the occasional locust. If a cut starts to get wavy I change the band.
jim
Have a great day

Chuck White

I also use the 10° Wood-Mizer blades.

I've sawn 20 some varieties of logs and they seem to work fine.

The 10° blade is classified as a "general purpose" blade!

Now, there are blades available with varying degrees of hook that are probably more suited to certain woods than the 10°!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Amelia Farms....I'm below you just South of Charlotte in Rock Hill. I saw about the same wood you do. Different species of Pine, Red and White Oak.
Like the other replies, I use the 10 degree general purpose blade. I get very nice boards using this blade when sawing Pine.
When sawing Oak, I slow my speed down a bit and get positive results as well.
All in all a VERY good blade. I recommend it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I asked that exact same question to WM after I bought my sawmill and was ordering blades.  The recommendation was 10° blades.  That is what I bought and am still using.

My blades go back to WM Resharp, where the rejects are replaced under their Blade Replacement Program at a discount, so my blade inventory stays the same.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Amelia Farms

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Looks like 10 degrees it is, I will be ordering some today.
Woodmizer LT40, wish it was hydraulic.

Dave VH

I'm still new, I use 9 degree blades.  I saw all hardwoods, but with lower hp motor.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

pnyberg

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit the extent to which WM blade profiles are still a mystery to me.  When I was starting up, I used the blade configurator to research and came to the conclusion that 9° blades had the widest set of applications, so I started with some of those. 

I bought some 4° blades because I was worried about frozen logs.  I actually turn to these most often when milling large white oaks.  Several times I've had a new or freshly sharpened 9° blade leave a noticeable crown on the cant (convex side to side).  Switching to a 4° blade in this situation has solved the problem.

And, while I've milled a lot of pine logs with 9° blades with good results, sometimes the blade will wander up and down some pretty ugly lumber. So, I now carry 10° blades with me as well.

People have good things to say about the relatively new 7° blades as well...

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

I got three 7° blades that I am going to try on seasoned/dry White Oak, but I have not had an opportunity to use them yet.  My understanding is that 4° blades might even be better.

That being said, the great majority of my sawing is SYP which happens to love 10° blades.  When I have been challenged with White Oak, I have managed that just fine with 10°.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ohio_Bill

Peter Thanks for the comments. I don't feel so bad now .I have came to same conclusion .When things don't go right put a 4deg on.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

wwsjr

I use 10* on almost everything I saw, SYP, cypress, cherry, ERC, and green oak. I have about 15 that are 4* that I use on dry oak. Like MM I use resharp and blade replacement. I have about 75 blades on-hand and usually have a couple of boxes in route. When I need more 4*, I put a note in box to replace with 4* . I usually try to keep 10-15 of the 4* on hand. I can tell a big difference between the 10* and 4* on hard dry oak logs. I have not tried the 7*.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Yup, with the Resharp Blade Replacement option getting a different pitch blade or two is a simple matter.  Now distinguishing them from each other may be a challenge, especially with several different pitch blades.

Peter Drouin

The 7s will cut dry wood, green wood, frozer wood, hard wood, soft wood, .Well they do for me just tighten the blade right up and go :D .with a 50 horse cat I use the 55 thick ones by 11/4 .I had two LT40s with a 24 horse onan and use the 7s but the thinner ones 32 I think by 11/4. I:d go crazy with haveing 4s 9s 10 s and all :D :D now I have the WM cbm sharpener I only have the 7 wheel. have fun sawing all 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!