iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any hydraulic geniuses?

Started by Pclem, January 12, 2018, 01:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Twist hubs is a great idea.  But you wont find them in a junkyard off a rear end.  An electric PTO clutch could be useful but its not gonna do anything special or as cheap as a belt idler.  Look at your mower deck, belt idler has worked to turn that on and off for near a century.  Much more reliable than a DC pto clutch also.  Fwiw, the ones on york AC compressors are the strongest ive seen at throw away pricing.   

An over running clutch is gonna help you get down in a hole you think u can make, get stuck and have no reverse to get out

Praise The Lord

Gearbox

Maybe one made like a 4x4 front hub will lock after 1 or 2 turns each way .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Pclem

I appreciate all the feedback and ideas guys! Now I just need to figure out what will work the best for me. [ And find enough ambition to tackle such a project :)] I've kicked the idea around of getting a small cable skidder again, but people sure seem to like the idea of their wood carried not skidded.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

mike_belben

I have a 742b bobcat in "farm condition" and a spare parts rolling chassis 743 that ive told myself will one day be grafted into a micro forwarder by putting OTT tracks on the power unit and cutting the spindles and chainbox/motor parts into a hydrostatic walking beam.  I have a mercedes OM617 turbo diesel set aside for it. 

My perception is that stave and veener tracts are being depleted and subdivided out of existence, hopefully im mistaken.  But if not, and If i want my kid to ever cut veneer, it looks like im gonna have to go manage some stands 50yrs in advance for him.
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Look at wheel motors in surplus center catalog or chain up a hyd. motor to a light truck rear axel as stated by others.  Sizing the motor is tricky [ for me] but it could be a little to fast because you will need a flow control valve anyhow. Surplus has all this stuff and not that expensive.

thecfarm

How are loading that trailer? Looks like a couple cords?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Ya load with the stump grapple.  In small wood like that his pile will stack out id say around 3/4 cord.  I have a very similar setup that makes a half cord every time.
Praise The Lord

Pclem

Yes, load with stump grapple. Trailer holds an easy cord. A big bypass grapple is on the wish list. I think I'd be able to 'short skid' much more to the trail each trip
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Randy88

For the amount of time and money you'll spend, I'd opt to put that towards a small tractor with front wheel assist and use that to pull the load, the skid steer to load it and use the hydraulics off the tractor to dump the load and I think you'll be much happier all around.   

Pclem

I'm not so sure a 4wd tractor would give me much more traction. The ctl grips & pulls well.

Thank You Sponsors!