iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snotty Nosed Young'uns

Started by Don P, March 07, 2024, 05:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Michelle did an adult class last weekend and got the garden started with the 4th graders on Monday. She had a cold till yesterday. About noon today, yup, the gift that keeps on giving. I had kind of forgotten how much fun it is, this is the first time I've been sick since this whole mess started. 

doc henderson

well, good to keep the immune system up to date! ffcool
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

My kids brought home stuff I never experienced in the past.  They say what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger. I beg to differ.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SwampDonkey

I rarely get colds, sometimes years, or maybe just skip a year or two. But last summer I had a bad dose, that lingered on and on. Had to take time off work for 3 weeks. No strength at all. Plus my ears got blocked off. And I never had a runny nose, it was all post nasal stuff and not much for sinus pressure. Around here, first thing they do before anything else is blood pressure. Found out I had  high blood pressure. I had gone through a bunch of tests in 2018 including heart and blood pressure, all fine. Not over weight, eat right and exercise a lot more than the average citizen by far. Goes to show there is more at play than diet and exercise.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Only takes one to spread it around.  :wacky:
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

When you are born you have your moms antibodies that pass through the placenta and they stick around for about 5 months.  from 5 months to 5 years, you get about 100 viral infections.  this builds your immune system so your own body can make antibodies and fight infections.  Our grandmas had it right.  let the kids play in the dirt, and if one is sick, have a get together.  At 100/5 years is 20 per year.  if each lasts a week that is 20 weeks or 5 months out of the year a child should be sick with a cold or flu virus.  There are several coronaviruses we have been familiar with for years before covid.  As a pediatrician, I have been exposed over and over, and to my knowledge, never got covid (a corona virus).  So, I believe to a point it makes us stronger.  falling out of an airplane, not so much.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Typhoid Tammy brought it home to me this week.  Sick as Ive been since before covid.  The coughing and wretching has my back about locked up. 36 hrs in bed other than up to the toilet every 30 minutes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

NewYankeeSawmill

Jr. came home from school last week, tested positive for Flu B at the local clinic....
Knocked my ass down for a week. I had almost 72 hrs of the hershey squirts at the end, and my lungs are STILL on fire 3 days later. 10-days total, still out of whack. T'was a doozey!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: doc henderson on March 08, 2024, 07:04:21 AMWhen you are born you have your moms antibodies that pass through the placenta and they stick around for about 5 months.  from 5 months to 5 years, you get about 100 viral infections.  this builds your immune system so your own body can make antibodies and fight infections.  Our grandmas had it right.  let the kids play in the dirt, and if one is sick, have a get together.  At 100/5 years is 20 per year.  if each lasts a week that is 20 weeks or 5 months out of the year a child should be sick with a cold or flu virus.  There are several coronaviruses we have been familiar with for years before covid.  As a pediatrician, I have been exposed over and over, and to my knowledge, never got covid (a corona virus).  So, I believe to a point it makes us stronger.  falling out of an airplane, not so much.

Very well said! (LOL, I've been hesitant to mention the kung-flu)
You mentioned babies and mothers - something I learned when my wife was nursing ours - a mother's body can receive information through the breast and alter her milk in response to infections in the child. If that's not simply captivating, you may want to see if you still have a pulse... I was blown away by that. Upstream. Wow!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Don P

You guys are making me feel better already,
 Whoop, back soon  ffcheesy

moosehunter

Germ Bombs ie; school aged children. Got that term from my chiropractor.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Now tammy has conjunctivitis to go along with being sick, and still driving because there are no subs. There wereonly 38 kids on her bus yesterday
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

she got the walrus (as my Indian Micro professor referred to them in school).

Old saw fixer

We keep our 4 year old grandson 2-3 days a week, he goes to preschool 3 days a week.  Before preschool he was with us 5 days a week.  Mom teaches special ed in the high school.  Accordingly we catch anything new going around!

Anecdotally it seems that when I was smoking and drinking I hardly ever got sick!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

JD Guy

Quote from: doc henderson on March 08, 2024, 07:04:21 AMWhen you are born you have your moms antibodies that pass through the placenta and they stick around for about 5 months.  from 5 months to 5 years, you get about 100 viral infections.  this builds your immune system so your own body can make antibodies and fight infections.  Our grandmas had it right.  let the kids play in the dirt, and if one is sick, have a get together.  At 100/5 years is 20 per year.  if each lasts a week that is 20 weeks or 5 months out of the year a child should be sick with a cold or flu virus.  There are several coronaviruses we have been familiar with for years before covid.  As a pediatrician, I have been exposed over and over, and to my knowledge, never got covid (a corona virus).  So, I believe to a point it makes us stronger.  falling out of an airplane, not so much.
ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

doctorb

When my mom and dad used to come visit or babysit for us when we had school age kids, he referred to our house as "Virus Villa".
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

Between Lil working as a Kindy teacher, and the 2 girls at different schools, if there is a virus circulating, we get exposed to it. :wacky:

So minor colds are common in the household, but generally shrugged off in a day or 2. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on March 08, 2024, 07:04:21 AMAs a pediatrician, I have been exposed over and over, and to my knowledge, never got covid (a corona virus).

Lil is the only one in our house that has actually tested positive for Covid, and it was so minor that if testing and isolating weren't mandatory (for her job) at the time, she would have gone to work. and just taken some tissues. The rest of us must have been exposed, but no symptoms.  In NZ you get a set amount of paid sick days per year by law, and can accrue them. Lil currently has 125 DAYS of sick leave she hasn't used, so her immune system is working pretty well considering (or because of) the Petri dish she works in. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Up this way the only workers that can accumulate unused sick days is government employees. And other employers don't have to pay sick days although many do, but we do have sick benefits, which is not full pay, only 55% and you need a doctor to make out a form. I knew a customs and immigration officer that could retire 2 years early and got paid the sick days for those years since they were accumulated over many years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Stepson has 4 kids between his wife and him. All grown up now. But when they were all in school, he would say, There is always at least one sick one in the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!