iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture meter

Started by Clover, April 14, 2017, 07:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

This subject has probably been asked a hundred times but I'm in the market for a reasonably priced moisture meter. This will be my first one and I don't know how far I'm going to get involved with selling wood and funds are tight right now (aren't they always). I will get a better one if I get into plaining (?) wood for resale later but just need a good cheap one to start. Lee Valley has a couple and I imagine eBay also. If someone can chime in on what they like that would be great. Thanks 
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Magicman

Type "moisture meter" in the search box and be prepared to read.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Unfortunately, there are some instances where being merely "somewhat close" in an estimate of MC is not good enough.  You often need to be quite accurate at times.  I suggest buying a meter made in the USA.  I suggest paying no less than $200.  I suggest a digital meter with needles and the option to add a remote probe later.  A good meter should last 20 years or more.  A good meter can be checked for calibration.  A good meter can be repaired quickly by a USA company.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

So Gene is suggesting a Delmhorst J2000.  :)

Magicman

That left my Wagner pin less analog meter behind in the dust.  ::)

No matter because I do not dry or sell lumber anyway.  I only use it as "gee whiz" information for the customer. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clover

I found a Delmhorst J2000 on eBay, problem is once it's shipped to Canada with import fees and exchange it doubles in price. Canadian suppliers want over five hundred. They put their profit margins on top of the exchange rate, unreal.

I'm just looking for something to tell me when the moisture content is low enough to dry stack everything. These stickered piles are taking up a lot of room in my barn. And I want to move more in as things dry.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Check www.moisturemeter.ca/m/3/delmhorst
This is the Canada site for Delmhorst. They have the same meters often at a lower cost than in the USA.

Another company is Lignomat. 

In both cases, avoid cheap meters.

There are cheaper meters, but why buy something that is only half good that has to be replaced in a few years?  Get something versatile that will be useful as you grow. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Clover

Thanks for the heads up on the Canadian web site. I did already look them up and that's WAY over my budget. I'd love to get a good one right now but unfortunately just no funds for that. I like the versatility of those meters as I am often working on homes and could use it for that to.  If this sawmill was generating money for me then that's what I would get. It's just that I won't be able to make a business out of this for a couple years so a cheaper one will work until then.

Don P

If you have a good scale and an oven you have the best "meter". The ag folks check my wife's scale annually although I use the old Delmhorst that must be.. its 24 now although VDACS never checks it and neither have I. I was in one of the Docs classes some years ago and he asked "who has the best meter?" "Your customer! :D"

pine

Quote from: Den Socling on April 15, 2017, 09:32:00 AM
So Gene is suggesting a Delmhorst J2000.  :)

I thought he was talking about a a Delmhorst RDM3 or a Wagner MMI 1100.

JasonRerras

I just picked a Lignomat Versa-Tech.  I liked it because it has dual depth pinless reading and you can attach the slide hammer with probes for checking thicker stock; 3". Certainly not 'cheap' but it will pay for itself.   They're having a sale That ends today.
MS880 60" CSM and stuff

Den Socling

That VersaTec looks pretty nice. I like the features!

Darrel

The other day I told my wife that I needed a good moisture meter. So she googled moisture meters and came up with one for $13.xx from Harbor Freight. I said NO!!!  She asked why and I asked her if she remembered the socket set I threw over the fence into the horse pasture one socket at a time.

That was the end of that conversation. :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

K-Guy

For Lumber, you need a meter that reads the wood at high percentages, unfortunately there isn't a good meter that will do it cheaply. I recommend the Delmhorst J2000X because it reads to 60%. The regulat J2000 only reads to 40%.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!