iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

051 sprocket question

Started by Ducksnuff870, February 11, 2013, 08:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ducksnuff870

I have a stihl 051 that i use for bigger firewood trees. The longest bar i have is a .404 25" . I found a stihl 3/8 bar 36" on cList for $100 with 4 chains. Would i have to change sprockets?  I would love to ditch my 051(shes a lil heavy) for a 046,460 or dolmar 7900 but times are hard. I also run a 036,031 and (prob my fav) a olympyk 241.

JohnG28

Yes, you will have to change the drive sprocket to a 3/8" sprocket. Other than that you should be good as long as the mounting bolts for the bar are the same.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

The 051 according to the parts list indicates it uses m 10 studs the same size as an 084 .I can't determine by looking at the list if the type studs have a collar on them  or if they are just straight studs . I have never seen one of this model that I can ever remember.

I would speculate if it has a wide collar like the modern saws it would take the larger mount size like the 084 .

sawguy21

It uses the Oregon E031 mount same as the 084 and 090. Those bars are getting harder to source.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

You can mill out the bar slot if worse comes to worse .I've got a 42" on an 084 that was originally for an 066 that works fine with a widened slot .

Stihl mount bar sizes with some creativity can be adapted to just about any saw known with few exeptions because they have a wide heel .

Something like replacing a large mount McCulloch bar with a 10 series mount will not work because there is not enough width in the heel section to match up the oil slot and tightening hole  .Yet a Stihl bar with spacer bushings works slick as a whistle .--more junk yard dawg trivia --

Thank You Sponsors!