iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shaper heads for table saw

Started by shelbycharger400, July 22, 2011, 06:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

redbeard

Nice I like it. I have a similar cove cutter from a crown molding kit and it works like a champ. You will need 3hp or better probably for those heads. They are quiet and smooth.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

jimparamedic

Yes take lite passes a power feed helps, But if you ever seen a saw blade kick multiple it 100 x. Like all power tools safty first fingers and eyes don't grow back.

shelbycharger400

that kinda puts into perspective what i was thinking.  i know that i would use a spring loaded idler for a double fence

jimparamedic

They do work good. Just becareful !!

woodmills1

I used shaper heads on radial arm saws years ago

did I say kickback............ :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

shelbycharger400

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

park ranger

Sears use to sell one and I see them in garage sales once in a while.  The body is something like 3/4" and the cutters set in and are locked with an alan head screw.

They work just fine, just bring them up thru your wood tablesaw insert and run the wood like you are cutting with a blade.  They don't cut as smooth as a shaper.  I would check e-bay for craftsman moulder or something and I bet you'll find one.  Or just get a used shaper .  I got a Inca shaper for a big pile of cedar I cut.

caveman

The moulding head cutter that I have belonged to my grand daddy and was made by Craftsman.  It holds three blades and a large variety of profiles are available from Sears.  It worked well the few times that I used it.  A feather board would help keep the work held tight to the fence.
Caveman

millwright

I have had one of the craftsman units for many years and it works very well. You have to be carefull about kickbacks as the other guys said. I increased the HP from 1 to 2.5 and it made a big improvement in the feed rate.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Corb http://corobcutters.com/ currently manufactures and sells cutter heads and blades for tablesaws.

Thank You Sponsors!