iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chinese Elm?

Started by EOTE, March 22, 2020, 07:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOTE

I have a ton of these trees throughout my land and I think I have identified it as Chinese Elm.  Most of the trees are juvenile with only a few having trunk diameters over 8".  

Here are some photos of the tree, bark, and leaves...

Am I correct in my assessment of this tree species?
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

KEC

You should post this under  "Tree, Plant and wood ID".

EOTE

Quote from: KEC on March 22, 2020, 08:40:39 PM
You should post this under  "Tree, Plant and wood ID".
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong topic.  I am not sure how I could move it to the correct topic area.  
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!

Nebraska

WDH

Hard to tell from your pic, but I suspect that the leaves are finely toothed.  I believe that what you have is hophornbeam, Ostrya virginiana.  A member of the beech family and common in the US East of the Mississippi river.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

The Chinese Elm or Drake elm, Ulmus parviflorum, has a smoother bark that often has a grey, splotchy pattern.  If that is a hophornbeam, as WDH suggests, it should be pubescent and some of the leaf veins should split (hop) before they get to the leaf margin. 
Caveman

EOTE

Quote from: WDH on March 23, 2020, 07:54:30 AM
Hard to tell from your pic, but I suspect that the leaves are finely toothed.  I believe that what you have is hophornbeam, Ostrya virginiana.  A member of the beech family and common in the US East of the Mississippi river.
I went out and got a couple of branches to photograph from the tree in the picture at the start of this thread.  The leaves seem to be very finely toothed and the veins look to be very deep and pronounced.  The leaves seem to be in groups of 4.

EOTE

This thread is challenging my powers of observation.  So I went out and started looking at the other trees I thought were the same and they are not.  The leaves and bark are different.

Here is a photo of the leaves and bark... 

The leaves are in groups of 5, and the edges are highly serrated.  They are slightly smaller at 2-1/2" in length for the largest ones.  The veins are not as pronounced and are opposite.

This is the bark on a tree with about a 5" trunk.

So now it looks like I am actually trying to identify 2 separate species of trees.

WDH

Yes Sir, two species.  Original one is definitely hophornbeam.  Second one is an elm, either winged elm or cedar elm.  The elms have leaves that are doubly serrate.  If you look close, there are two sizes of teeth.  Large coarse ones and smaller ones in between. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

EOTE

Quote from: WDH on March 23, 2020, 04:10:43 PMSecond one is an elm, either winged elm or cedar elm.

I have a lot of winged elm and this one isn't the same.  It does not have any of the corky wings that the Winged Elm has on the branches...I believe you are correct on it being Cedar Elm.   I checked the databases at Texas A&M and Stephen F. Austin University and the second one seems to more closely match Cedar Elm.

WDH

Not all winged elms have wings :).  However, it is most likely cedar elm.  They are such close cousins that the differences don't really matter that much.

EOTE

Quote from: WDH on March 24, 2020, 07:45:29 AM
Not all winged elms have wings :).  However, it is most likely cedar elm.  They are such close cousins that the differences don't really matter that much.
WDH, here are some photos of what I am calling winged elm.  They seem to differ from the other trees that we are calling Cedar Elm by the fact that even the smallest branches have the corky wings and as the tree gets older the wings get larger.  The bark seems to be slghtly different as well.  

This is a more mature tree so the bark comparison may not be valid with the previous bark photos.

It does make some pretty nice looking lumber which seems stable and dries pretty straight.

WDH

Your winged elms are heavily winged.

btulloh

That's what my winged elms look like also. The wings are mostly on the smaller limbs only. No dark heartwood in mine. Not much lumber value in the couple i sawed. I've been losing a lot of them to some type of beetle. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!