iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chickens

Started by Peter Drouin, April 23, 2014, 06:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Is there an easy way to stop a chicken from eating eggs ? Without ringing their neck. I give them the block from tractor supply for egg making.
I have one eating eggs and not sure which one. :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I have heard of hot pepper. But the neck is really the only way,IF you can figure out which one. Get it quick,because that one will teach 2,than 2 will teach 4........
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red oaks lumber

something must be lacking with their diet, normally they only go after a broken egg.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

36 coupe

Old hens lay weak shelled eggs.You need plenty on nest material as some birds lay eggs standing up.A broken egg starts egg eating.A dark nest helps. hens enter from the side.The door has a cloth flap to keep the nest dark.Egg are collected by lifting the top.Collect eggs early, most hens lay in the morning.Egg yolk on a hens beak or face ids the egg eater.Ring neck, dress and roast.

shinnlinger

Smooth stones/fake eggs in nest tend to cure the problem also
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

kczbest

Take an egg and poke a hole in each end and blow the inside of the egg out. Fill the empty eggshell with yellow mustard and put it back in the nest. Chickens HATE mustard. I have broken chickens from eating way, believe me it works.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Peter Drouin

Tkanks guys, Ill try them all  8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

blackfoot griz

Golf balls worked for us.

Chuck White

If you were to go to a poultry farm where there are 100's of chickens, you'll find that the chickens all have a bottom beak that's longer than the top beak!

The chickens won't peck on hard items when the top beak is cut back!

To trim the top beak, my dad and I used one of those cutters you would use to trim a dogs toenails, there might be a special tool made nowadays.

Trim them "just" short enough to where they will bleed a little and they will be tender and the egg eating will diminish!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bugdust

Normally if chickens are eating their eggs indicates they are lacking hard material necessary for food digestion. Try giving them Oyster Shells. Usually works every time.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bugdust on April 24, 2014, 09:23:52 PM
Normally if chickens are eating their eggs indicates they are lacking hard material necessary for food digestion. Try giving them Oyster Shells. Usually works every time.

There out in the yard :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Chuck White on April 24, 2014, 09:03:03 PMIf you were to go to a poultry farm where there are 100's of chickens, you'll find that the chickens all have a bottom beak that's longer than the top beak!

Clipping their beaks in a sure way to solve the issue but then they won't be able to free range and hunt for food, they also won't be able to defend themselves as much.

Chuck White

You basically just remove the point of the upper beak!

They can still eat, survive and produce while being outside!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

chevytaHOE5674

We used to buy laying hens from somebody who clipped their beaks and those chickens could only eat 1/3 of what a full beaked chicken could when out foraging (had trouble catching worms, bugs, etc). Those clipped chickens could always be found at the feeder.

Stopped raising anything with a clipped beak and our bagged feed consumption went down considerably.

Just my experience from personally raising hundreds of free range chickens.

WildDog

If they are laying in nest boxes and not on the ground you could try a roll away nest box or tray insert in existing nest box.

QuoteStopped raising anything with a clipped beak and our bagged feed consumption went down considerably.

We are finding this now, our flock has been a closed one for years and my wife just added 18 Isa Brown ex battery hens for their egg production. Their beaks are clipped and they get to free range with others. The egg production is up but the quality is down, not as rich yolks, they don't seem to know how to forage.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Woodboogah

usually something is lacking in their diet when they are eating eggs.  We use golf balls in the nesting box, mostly in the winter when they slow down.  They are outside all spring summer and fall but have never had a chicken eat eggs unless I drop one they come running over and eat it. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Peter Drouin

They'er let out in a wire in area. They go back in to lay an egg then go out and do their chicken thing  :D One will sneak in and eat an egg , Then run out and mix with the rest and I lose her . They all look the same  :D :D :D
I'm going to try the mustard trick.   :D :D
At least the beak will be yellow. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Peter,

Fried chicken.

Chicken and rice.

Chicken and dumplings.

Chicken parmigiana.

Smoked chicken.

Fried chicken fingers and dipping sauce.

Roasted chicken and deviled eggs (if you have any eggs left  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 25, 2014, 10:02:19 PM
Peter,

Fried chicken.

Chicken and rice.

Chicken and dumplings.

Chicken parmigiana.

Smoked chicken.

Fried chicken fingers and dipping sauce.

Roasted chicken and deviled eggs (if you have any eggs left  :)).

BBQ Chicken

Chicken Creole

Chicken Stew

Chicken Nuggets

Chicken Gumbo

I can't think of no more Forester.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

Target practice  :D  I'm not much of a chicken eater, nobody cooks like my grandma did anymore.  I will say my wife can make it edible though, if you like chicken you'd probably love hers.

Thank You Sponsors!