iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank you and Farewell Hoopty!

Started by Jeff, January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Almost 6 years ago we acquired Hoopty, a 1965 Thunderbird. it was quite a story on how we came to get the car.
Jeff's great find. in General Board

Since then we have taken care of it, improved it and and thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to own it. This year we came to the point where our daily drivers were becoming pretty old and worn out. We take care of our vehicles, but inevitably age and the michigan climate dictates they reach an end of life. They ain't there yet, but close enough we are always concerned to venture very far from home, or outside of our safety net.  

Not being in the position where we can just go out and buy a quality new vehicle, and with Tammy so close to retirement we do not want to assume any debt, we decided to put our land and Hoopty up for sale in hopes to be able to buy a new truck. It was a very hard decision to make. Owning land in the U.P. was my lifelong dream. Having an old car for us, is good for our souls. (Tammy grew up in a large junkyard and knows as much about cars as I do. She made money growing up removing and tagging parts from salvage vehicles, as well as other junk yard duties ) We had old cars up until our first child was born, at that time, we had a 65 ford f150 and a 64 olds with a rocket engine. We had to sell those in order to take care of our new family. Our kids were grown before we were able to have an old car again, with one exception. A 66 corvair followed me home for $100 when Jeremy was 3. I fixed it up and one Saturday, my buddy Sonny and I painted it. After painting is a metallic maroon, we hooked onto the boat and went fishing. When we got back. Tammy and Sonny's wife met us at the door and Tammy is saying "DONT KILL HIM!"    :D   Turns out She let Jeremy go out out side the what was then just out our front door to play ball. Jeremy decided to go into the attached garage, find a way to stack milk crates to get on top of my workbench, then reach up and get a can of black spray paint, found a way to get the cap off, then proceed to help his dad paint the newly painted car and everything else in the garage. Mower, waders, bikes, everything.   In desperation Tammy tried to clean the car up with thinner.  I never got mad. I was just two impressed at what my 3 year old son had been able to achieve.

Okay. I got side tracked. :D

A few weeks ago we listed the land and I started listing Hoopty on facebook market place. I put to high a price on both of them, knowing that it needed to be too high or I would back out on anything but to good of an offer.

This week, I got a facebook message from a fellow down by Grand Rapids michigan wanting to know if Hoopty was still available.  I had had dozens of those contacts, so I figured it was just another dreamer or worse, a scammer.  Turns out Tim was neither. He was a collector. Same age as I am. He and his twin brother have many cars and several thunderbirds. He was wondering about some sort of swap as he had been informed by his girlfriend, that something had to go before something came in.  He told me what he had, and we continued the conversation. Eventually, we made a deal that I am very happy with. He got Hoopty and $3000 and we got his 1971 Mustang, (mach 1 tribute 351 ram air)  as well as one of his daily drivers. 1 2000 Silverado.  2000?  Aint that old? Yea, 19 years old. However...

I've always said, because our original 1999 Siiverado known as the Forestry Forum Truck was such a great truck, I'd much rather buy another new one of those then what ever the new trucks were at the time. I knoew that could not happen, because they are pretty much all rotted away now. The 2 wheel drive one I have now is really really bad.  Turns out though, there was one left!  This Silverado is Pristine. It was garage kept and driven only 7000 miles a year. meticulously maintained. (I have the little notebook the owner kept detailing every oil change!) The truck is simply in unbelievable condition. Inside, outside and mechanically. Its like getting a new truck.  The mustang, well, it aint a tbird but...   It has a built 351 and lots of bells and whistles. My getting it in at my current weight is like putting a marshmallow in a piggy bank!  However once in, I can sit comfortably. its not perfect, but it will give me plenty to tinker with.   So, we got a new to use truck, an old car that Tammy really likes, and we get to keep our land!

You know you are dealing with a car guy when he sends you home with replica's of your new cars! :D

He also sweetened the post with this, although I'm not sure what I will do with it!

We have the Truck home, and next weekend Tammy's brother who has a car hauler will come pick up Hoopty and take her to her new home and bring back the mustang.

This is the 4th red truck in a row I have had. None of them did I go looking for. They keep finding me!  I think I am going to name this one.  4red. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

There,now I know why the land was taken off the market!!!! 
That is good news!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lxskllr

Quotelike putting a marshmallow in a piggy bank!

RoFL!

Looks like you did pretty well, and I'm very happy you get to keep your land. "Stuff" is easier to replace than land  :^)

Jeff

I was scared to say anything prematurely Ray as I didn't want to jinx the deal. Woulda been just my luck.

So I have a 4wdrive again, but I don't plan on driving it much during the winter as long as the other truck hangs on. I gotta figure out a way to keep the body great like it is.

The truck is also an LS. so it has options like electric seats and deluxe mirror with compass and temperature. Driving it home was like Driving home an old friend. Its so much like the Forestry Forum truck that had that premature death at the hands of a local scammer.

hacknchop

Good things happen to good people I'm happy everything worked out the way it did.
Often wrong never indoubt

Jack S

Very nice Jeff, It sure is nice to see great things happen

LAZERDAN

Red is the color of confidence and power. Red is "Company Colors"  They to also find Me, I find it a dream to drive someones eles old "junk"  when i'm done with it's junk, you know  they love you when they start every day.  I'd say you got the large side of the wish bone. You Gotta find another FF bumper sticker for the New FF Truck       Lazerdan

Resonator

Nice looking rides! 
QuoteHe also sweetened the post with this, although I'm not sure what I will do with it!
Has the stoplight been rewired for household 120 volt? If so, it would be a great decoration for a gear head garage. (Or put it in the living room like Fred Rogers.) 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

Cool story, and it's great to come out with a deal like that. You weren't left wanting for anything after it looked like you were going to have to give up your classic and your land. I'm happy for you guys!
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AMHe also sweetened the post with this, although I'm not sure what I will do with it!

Don't you live on a busy street?  Put it at the end of your driveway to stop traffic so you can pull out! :D

Sure looks like you got a good deal and Hoopty got a good home.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Jeff I understand completely. My luck is the same way.
On the rust,I have a garage guy that came in and bought 5 gallons of boiled linseed oil for rust, He tried it and came back and bought 10 gallons. I guess he liked it. I have to special order it,because we only have it in gallons.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

1.5 hours from home and -2 now!

Bruno of NH

Jeff 
Does anyone do Krown under coating?
It works great.
I'm happy for you
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kwill

Same truck as mine jeff except for mirrors and wheels. Mines a 2000 with 146k on it

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

moosehunter

I'd be mighty happy to have that pony. Congrats Jeff, glad you are keeping your property.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations. Sounds like a great deal all around. Glad you got to keep the land and have a happy truck to take you up there to hunt and tinker around.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Mustang is at its new home. About froze getting unloaded as we had to do a lot of blocking due to clearances issues. Coldest night of the year so far.  Glad to be back home.

samandothers

This is good to hear!  Glad you got to keep the land and have the neat vehicles!

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations, hoping to hear more adventures from you at the UP land!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

BradMarks

Glad you are able to keep the land, they aren't making any of that anymore :)

millwright

Good truck I've got well over 200,000 on mine, and it still drives great

Hilltop366

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 20, 2019, 06:25:11 PM
Jeff
Does anyone do Krown under coating?
It works great.
I'm happy for you
+1
Krown or Rust Check are two of the best that I know of. I have a 2004 rav4 that was undercoated with Rust Check every year since new and is pretty much rust free, keep in mind that I live in the place that is known as one of the worst for rust with salt air, salt on the roads in winter, high  temperature swings and humidity so if it works here it should work about anywhere.
They drill holes to access spaces that can't be sprayed from under like doors, door post and rocker panels. Its well worth the trouble if you want your vehicle to last.

Jeff

It appears Krown is only Canadian?

Hilltop366

Their locations finder shows one at:

Krown Caro and Keinath Automotive
1065 E CARO ROAD, SUITE 2
Caro, Michigan 48723
United States
989-286-3898

doctorb

You might be a different person if you had to sell that land in the UP.  great story.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Sixacresand

Nice truck.  I agree with the marsh mellow analogy with any low to the ground car.  Good deal on keeping the land. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Stephen1

Its great when things come together, and it wasn't even the plan!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Wudman

That's got to feel good.  Congrats.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Jeff

Thanks for all the acknowledgements. :)

Its so cold I haven't done anything with the mustang except get it moved up into the slot in the garage where Hoopty was do I could "push" my 8n back in. It wont start from being outside because its so cold. I put it in the barn and have a propane heater pointed on it to try and get it to come back alive before we get the big snow predicted.

The mustang may be a hotrod by looking at everything on the engine. I see the very first thing I need to do is get some different plug wires and some sort of heat protection for them. the ones on it are cooking on the headers.

I had already worked on this car before I even bought it.  The fellow that had it likes cars, has several cars. KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT CARS. :D  The mustang quit on him this summer. just died going down the road at 55mph.  He had it towed home and it had been in his garage.  In our talks I had grilled him on it trying to trouble shoot it, because it was going to have to run for me to consider it.   The car has a MSD box, with a MSD distributor and coil. It has a duel pump holly and electric fan, and electric fuel pump and an electric water pump and a huge stereo with an amp in the trunk.

Does it have spark? He didn't know. Fuel? "well, I had filled it up 10 minutes before it died." Hmmmm.   Anyhow, talking to him, he was being straight forward and I figured the way it quit it was something simple.   When I got down to Rockford to look it over Saturday morning, I took a spark tester, a 12 volt test light, my battery load tester, and a can of starting fluid. First thing I checked for was spark.  No spark at the coil. I tested for current and there was a hot wire going to the MSD box, but I could not get it to activate and fire the coil. So, maybe low voltage, so, I was going to test the battery. it might be charged as he said, but it needs to put out at least 10.2 volts to ftrigger the MSD box. I went to unhook the negative cable, and it came off with a twist. AHA!   I went ahead and tested the battery and it was fine, so I cleaned the terminal and put them back on. This thing is a wiring nightmare. Another first thing I will need to do when it gets warm is to clean up all them wild wires. Okay, tested the multi spark, still nothing. I find two cheap crimp on wire extension connections and redo those. Nope, nothing. So I take and put the coil wire back on the coil but unhook the box from it and try to trigger the box. Another aha! Now the box triggers! Nothing wrong with the box as long as it is not hooked to the coil.  I forgot to add, this guy got some advice from his coworkers that the problem must be the msd system. So he had bought a whole new box, distributor and coil and put it on (hence the cheap connectors) So, now I know the battery is good, the box itself is good, so could it be the coil?? New parts sometimes don't work out of the box, but it wasn't running before  he changed it so how could that be it? I hooked everything back up and turned the lights out and had him turn the engine over again. WALLAH! I could see the positive wire on the coil sparking to the side of the coil tower. I had him turn it off and I felt the coil near the arcing. felt like a crack. I asked him, any chance you dropped that coil when you was putting it on?  "Um, maybe?"  I'm pretty confident now. I said did you save the coil you took off? YUP Its right here.   I put the old coil on and the engine fired first try.

So, I figure the entire no start problem began with was a loose ground cable not allowing the MSD box to work. He bought another $500 in parts to fix it that he didn't need for a loose battery cable.  

Wiring nightmare.

maple flats

That makes the deal even better, and you can still hunt up north on YOUR land.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jeff

My new to me truck has a feature I've never had in a vehicle before. :)

doc henderson

that comes in handy on the coldest mornings!  congratulations!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

That "feature" is a game changer.
I've had mine for a few years now and love it!
Used to be that during hellishly cold weather, the rear view mirror seemed to be adjusted for someone taller, until my butt warmed up the seat enough for the foam to thaw out. Not anymore.
😂😂
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jeff

Even the key fobs are pristine! :D

thecfarm

Jeff

Quote from: thecfarm on January 23, 2019, 02:59:50 PM
heated seats?
Honestly, i dunno yet. I parked it after bringing it home and have not been back in it!

Jeff

Well, I'm just starting to get to know our new pony. We loaded it in a negative zero windchill, and unloaded it in the dark with it even colder. Since then we had a snow storm and now its back to below zero and they say it may stay that way for 10 days.

I went out today to try and get a feel for what we have, buts its just so cold. Things I now know.

Posi rear end
Traction bars.
Electric fan
Electric water pump
Electric fuel pump
Msd ignition system
Duel feed duel pump Holley 670 CFM Street Avenger Carburetor

Kenwood stereo system with amp.
Race style bucket seats
351w engine

There are a lot of go fast accessories on this car, but I have no idea yet if its all show or its really feeding a beast. Im anxious for warm dry weather to feed and ride our new pony to see if its a stallion or ready for the glue factory!

I tried to take some pictures, but its pretty congested out there right now.

Don P

Compression check, if that Windsor is tight you'll have a good time trying to keep rubber under it.

Jeff

To cold to even think about working on the car, but i did a little snooping around.  Turns out The intake manifold is a ford motorsport single plane race manifold.

Ill be replacing the wires, they all have burn spots from the headers. Also doing something about the routing. Those wires shouldnt be zipped together like that!

bigred1951

Personally I would get rid of the electric water pump unless you plan on racing the car. If it shorts out or just quits working then your stuck over heating. I'd put a regular water pump on it and just leave the fan off it so it would still look clean under the hood since there's an electric fan for the radiator.

Jeff

trapper

You will probably find a way to work it into the pig roast games.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

doc henderson

that is cool!!!  I am not sure I would want a stop light in my bedroom!  smiley_love
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

You could just make it a caution light.

doc henderson

yep, yellow flashing.  attach a siren to the green so I can hear it over the equipment in the yard. running-doggy    :)

Ljohnsaw

Jeff, Did you get the one by Galak ($27.99) or Lights To Go ($39.00) or something else?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Galak. Easy peazy!

Im workink on making it motion activated now.

DPatton

Jeff,

:) :) :) That stop light brings back some good memories as I had one 35 or more years ago when I was in college. We always used it for a party light. It was in my dorm room on campus for my first 6 months of college. Everybody on campus knew that if the stoplight on 3rd floor was on there was a party going down. LOL... those parties were probably the reason why I was only welcome to live on campus for 6 months ;D ;D. The light lived with me at several college houses after that and was always a party favorite.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Jeff

It was warm enough to fiddle in the polebarn for a bit. I replaced the burned plugwires and started redoing the wild world of wire under the hood. Still amile or two to go, but she seems to run good now.
351 Blue streaker - YouTube

Jeff

Jeff

Just took actual notice of the steering wheel in the mustang. I dont know if its sumpthin, but seems like it could be nice from what i see on google. Never heard of a Nardi Torino Steering Wheel.

Ianab

Looks like a fancy Italian leather steering wheel  8)

Probably more at home in an Alfa Romeo Spyder than an American Pony car, but hey, should have a nice feel to it. 

Aftermarket steering wheels on modern cars isn't really a thing like it used to be. As well as the air bag, the wheel on my Toyota probably has more buttons and levers than your whole Mustang dash. Stereo, cellphone, cruise control and gearbox are all on the actual wheel. Not really practical to swap out. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Raider Bill

I have a stop light that blew down during a hurricane years ago. It sits on a shelf in the shop all these years as I haven't thunk of anything to do with it yet. I hesitate putting it outside lit up in case someone gets snoopy and sees where it came from. Jeff's project has me thinking ofmaybe putting it in my sports room.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Raider Bill

Ordered, Thanks!
Just have to figure out where I'm putting it now.
Did you use LED house bulbs?

Jeff

My light has led bulbs in it. Just wires hanging in it. The board could sequence any 3 light i would think. You have a hot and nuetral comeing into it and three places to hook power and nuetral for the red yellow and green. 

Wire strippers and a tiny screw driver and 5 minutes to hook it up. Longer to strip your wires. :)

Jeff

The board comes with 4 feet with adhesive to mount in the light.

Raider Bill

Mine has normal screw in sockets I think. It isn't LED. Been 10+ years since I looked in it so can't remember.

doc henderson

Jeff, I just watched the blue streaker video.  I highly recommend that only senior members are allowed to borrow and or drive that car at the next pig roast!!!

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AMWe take care of our vehicles, but inevitably age and the michigan climate dictates they reach an end of life. They ain't there yet, but close enough we are always concerned to venture very far from home, or outside of our safety net.

So Tammy has been driving the 1999 silverado this summer to work. I drive the newer truck, but I don't go anywhere very often.  2 days ago she asked me if I thought the old truck would make it to Detroit and back as her mom wants to go visit her 94 year old cousin Leona for a weekend.   I said, well, it it won't make it down there and back, then it isn't  going to even last you another week driving it to work, because you put 500 miles a week on it for that.  She answered back, well I noticed it has got a shake above 70 mph.  I said, well, its probably a ujoint or a tire or something. Call J&G and see if Gary can get it on the lift to look it over.  She called and they said sure, bring it in in the morning.  Yesterday when Tammy got home from work in the morning, she said it was now shaking at lower speeds. I said, well, lets get it over there.  We dropped it off about 9 and came home. At 10 oclock, Vicky, Gary's wife called and said, you guys need to come down here.

Gary had put a rear u-joint in the driveshaft, and when he was torquing down the bearing cap clamps on reassembly, that is when he noticed the whole rear end tip sideways.  As I walked in, Gary was in his old office chair that he uses for a sit down creeper. He was sitting under the front of the truck looking out the garage door. As I walked up he said, you may or may not want to come under here.   The frame was broke just in front of the rear wheels. On the drivers side, it was completely broke. On the passenger side, it was 2/3s of the way broke. Almost anywhere you wanted, you could poke a screw driver through the frame it was that rotted. The frame where the top of the rear shocks mounted was completely rotted away and one shock was hanging at the top.  The truck is beyond fixing. I am so glad Tammy had phrased her question the way she did. It was so bad I got sick to my stomach looking at the truck thinking what could have happened at 70mph when she was feeling the shake.  So, we are down a work vehicle for Tammy. We were hoping to get two more years. I sure was lucky to have made this trade this topic is about and my premonitions were proven correct that we needed to do something. We would be in a bad place right now had I not made it.   I didn't take any pics while it was on the hoist as I was a bit gobsmacked at the time when I saw how bad it was.  It sort of p{pre-edited by admin} me off that the oil change place just a couple weeks ago didn't say anything.

Magicman

Well that is a smack in the kisser!!  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

You seem to run into that these days, regarding seeing troubles at the garage and not mentioning it. We have mandatory inspections here and my cousin had an inspection and the garage did not mention the alignment or cause mentioned in the inspection. Had brand new tires on the vehicle after the inspection and they scuffed on the outer edges of the tread as they would if the vehicle was out of whack. She went after the garage about it and got two new front tires because of it. Mom ran into that to, with a local garage. I stopped going to these independent guys years ago. In the long run they cost us more money than the dealer. And I can get brakes installed at the dealer cheaper than any independent garage. I've priced it out. Tires are no more expensive, for the same tire. This inspection racket up here is just a guaranteed fee in their pocket no matter if they do the job they are suppose to or not. All they got to do is put that new windshield sticker on and make out the receipt. They are passing vehicles with rust through, that is suppose to be a failed inspection. So that right there proves the point.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

the oil change place prob. did not look beyond the filter and plug, and a few grease zerks.  glad everyone is safe.

GRANITEstateMP

We did a frame inspection for a customer 2 weeks ago on a Tacoma.  The Tech only made it about a foot off the ground and stopped when it "made some funny noise's".  The truck qualified for a replacement frame under the Warranty Extension Program.  It was bad enough that we put him in a 2019 Tacoma as a free to him rental.  The truck itself is real nice, well kept, no rust on the body, frame had a hole the Tech put his flashlight through!

Glad you caught it when you did Jeff, that's what matters most.

Why is it that we need to use all the salt and chemicals on the roads in winter?  Does anybody NEED to get to work that much quicker?  I remember growing up, the state used mostly sand on the roads, salt only during ice type events.  Towns hardly ever used salt on the road, it was too expensive, a hazard around water / ponds, and most towns around here have a town owned sandpit, so that material is at hand.  Now, the state spreads NO SAND in the Southern half of the state, AND they use a bunch of chemicals / sprays on the roads BEFORE and during storms! You can almost hear the car rusting away as you drive through that junk!  Ok, off my soap box now!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ed

Sorry to hear that Jeff.

It is a very common problem on 90's chevy trucks, but not limited to gm.

Neighbor had to scrap 2 early 90's Dakotas for the same issue, the boxed frames hold moisture and rot from the inside out.

Ed

Resonator

Many years ago I worked with a guy who had an old pickup, and one day while driving across a bridge had the frame break in half right behind the cab. He stopped and got out, and before walking away figured he better take his shotgun off the gunrack along, so it wouldn't be stolen. He hadn't made it to the end of the bridge when a officer pulled up. He looked at the truck, looked at the gun, and said: "good shot!" :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

K-Guy

Quote from: Resonator on September 09, 2019, 11:36:20 AMMany years ago I worked with a guy who had an old pickup, and one day while driving across a bridge had the frame break in half right behind the cab. He stopped and got out, and before walking away figured he better take his shotgun off the gunrack along, so it wouldn't be stolen. He hadn't made it to the end of the bridge when a officer pulled up. He looked at the truck, looked at the gun, and said: "good shot!"

You gotta like it when you get a police officer with a sense of humor!!teeter_totter
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

SwampDonkey

10 years is all I got out of a '87 GMC S15, the body and the cross beams (pretty cheap ones at that) all rotted to snot. The wiring was starting to go bad to. Bought  a Dodge RAM next and it all fell apart in 8 years, piece of junk. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on September 07, 2019, 12:17:02 PM
We did a frame inspection for a customer 2 weeks ago on a Tacoma.  The Tech only made it about a foot off the ground and stopped when it "made some funny noise's".  The truck qualified for a replacement frame under the Warranty Extension Program.  It was bad enough that we put him in a 2019 Tacoma as a free to him rental.  The truck itself is real nice, well kept, no rust on the body, frame had a hole the Tech put his flashlight through!

Glad you caught it when you did Jeff, that's what matters most.

Why is it that we need to use all the salt and chemicals on the roads in winter?  Does anybody NEED to get to work that much quicker?  I remember growing up, the state used mostly sand on the roads, salt only during ice type events.  Towns hardly ever used salt on the road, it was too expensive, a hazard around water / ponds, and most towns around here have a town owned sandpit, so that material is at hand.  Now, the state spreads NO SAND in the Southern half of the state, AND they use a bunch of chemicals / sprays on the roads BEFORE and during storms! You can almost hear the car rusting away as you drive through that junk!  Ok, off my soap box now!

I bet that Tacoma was a few years old also, and past warranty. My buddy had his replaced at 180,000 miles. Toyot does stand behind thier vehicles much more so than the big three. Yes you pay more to buy them but  they last and last.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

There was a few short years around the model 2000-2003's Tacoma or so, where Toyota bought back the trucks because of a frame issue. They were too light and would rust early. I was just talking a couple weeks ago with someone that worked at the local marketing board a few years back. They had a truck from those years that had 300,000 km on it and Toyota gave them $10,800 for the truck, that was $23,000 new. Around here the domestic vehicle makers might have given $1000 tops on a trade in, not a buy out. Makes a lot of difference deciding who to buy a vehicle from. ;)

petefrom bearswamp

We who live in the glaciated area of the good old US or Canada have to suffer the consequences of heavy road salting.
MY 2014 GMC has a pretty rusty looking frame already.
only 48k miles. 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JJ

I had a 97 Toyota Tacoma that got bought back by Toyota under frame warranty, they gave 150% of the bluebook in the buyback.  Best truck I ever had.   I had it from 2001 to 2009 and put 120K miles (had 190K when I let it go); paid $12K in private sale and Toyota gave me $10K for it in 09 (an offer which could not be refused).

It was funny, when they started the buyback I lookup book and was only worth $3-4K, but by time my truck was bought the book value was $7K.   Toyota drove up the value with every Tacoma they bought back, but they never seriously tried to sell me a new one.    Ended up with a Ford F150 as a replacement.

JJ

SwampDonkey

The boss has a 1999, and he said they would not do the buy back for him. So I'm pretty sure it was after that. He's got over 500,000 on it now and he got it second hand. Maybe you had a different program offer than we had up here.

JJ

Maybe his Tacoma passed the frame inspection by Toyota, or was older than 15 years.

Toyota to buy back rusted Tacomas - Reuters

Mine actually failed sticker inspection as rust had perforated completely through the frame, which I had the inspection done (by Toyota) before fixing my brakes.

It took them a month to process the paper work for the buyback, and it was shredded within 12h of them buying it.   It was crazy as it was the same time as cash for clunkers, so a lot of junk cars were on the lot.   Toyota didn't just seize the motor (like $forClunk) but destroyed every bit of the vehicle for risk that parts with the vin# would show up in another truck.   Too bad because it ran like a top, and had almost new tires.

During the month of processing, since I didn't have a sticker and brakes were failing, Toyota gave me a rental 2009 F150 super crew, just about brand new.   After driving the Ford for a month, it kinda grew on me.

After they gave me a check for $10,500 and I gave them the title; I am standing in the Toyota dealership with no ride, but couldn't get a sales person to give me any time.   I looked at the Tundra, but they wouldn't budge from the sticker price, so I walk across to the Ford dealer; who gave me a fantastic deal on a brand new 09 F150 Super Crew, since they were having trouble moving the full size trucks due to 'cash for clunkers' and economy sucked at the time.   Lots of factory incentives, and 2010 models were starting to come out, so dealer wanted it gone.
+I had big cash down payment mustache-smiley, with no trade-in to muddy the deal.

Now my 10 year old Ford has body rot :(, so I need to get some bondo to get few more years..

JJ

Ljohnsaw

As about everyone knows/assumes, vehicles out here last forever without road salt.  I was thinking back of my first car I bought in N.Y.  It was a 1967 Delmont 88 with a 425.  Got it for $200 or so.  I thought a pretty good deal.  The lower end of the rear quarter panels were all rusted/gone along with the tops of the rear wheel wells, but the engine ran great and it was FAST.  That was in 1977 - it was only 10 years old and looked like, well, bad.  About 4 gallons of bondo and 10 cans of spray paint and it was good to go. ;) :D

My Tundra is coming up on 15 years old, 165,00 miles and is in great shape (except for all the dents from working in the woods).
John Sawicky

SwampDonkey

Dad had a Ranger new from 2006. It was rusting out by 2009 and Ford paid to have it redone. The vehicle never had more than 24,000 km, not miles. My brother sold it this year for $8,000 and it had signs of the rusties coming back but still had less than 50,000 on it. I can't ride in those at all, the steering and suspension is way too stiff.

Thank You Sponsors!