iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Career In Forestry?

Started by CumminsTurboDiesel, January 30, 2007, 08:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CumminsTurboDiesel

Well, I've been around Trucking and Forestry all my life, we mostly float the equipment and haul chips. When I was younger I went with my father all the time and when we moved the equipment he gave me the keys and told me to load them on the float, I was around 11-12 when He taught me the basic operations (I learned on a excavator) I fell in love immediately and i knew then i wanted to do something with forestry. I lost my dad in 2003, I was 15 at the time, we still run our business, but since then I have lost touch with the industry. I'm now 18 and currently enrolled in College taking Diesel Mechanics, but when I complete the course I'm looking to get a job operating equipment. I would just be wondering about some suggestions, and what job to apply for (ie: Skidder, Forwarder, or Buncher) Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Thanks.

Jared.

Riles

From what I've seen, the money is in diesel mechanics! Went through the Louisiana CAT dealership a few weeks ago and they were paying a bounty to anyone who could bring one in. They only had half of the mechanics they needed. I'm betting they get paid a whole lot more that the operators.

Maybe you could work a deal where you get to run the machines when you're done fixing them, but then again, you may never get caught up.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

a old timberjack

hi jared,
              where r u from??  i am a union equipment operator by trade, ( and a very active part time logger ) i been doing that for the last 16 years ( both ) it has done me well i suggest a carrer in heavy equipment operation 100%
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

CumminsTurboDiesel

a old timberjack

if you want some more info on equipment operating, go to the operating engineer website and email them and inquier about the apprenticeship program in your aera, they will teach and pay you as you learn check that site out...Brandon

CumminsTurboDiesel

SwampDonkey

HI Jared,

Maybe you can send Scott an IM, he's a member of the forum from Saint John with similar interests as yourself. Maybe you can exchange phone numbers for a conversation. I don't think he is much older than yourself. 20 I think.

Scott's profile
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CumminsTurboDiesel

a old timberjack

jared
          go to www.iuoe.org and go to ( or click on ) training and apprenticeship check it out it mite intrest you......Brandon

Phorester

In my area after a few years on the job a good diesel mechanic will make twice as much as an equipment operator.  Worse working conditions though since you're inside all day.  ;D  Depends on what you want to do in a career.

SwampDonkey

Up here they are most often one in the same, and good wages yes.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warren

CTD,

As someone who just made a significant career change at age 49,  my advice would be:

1) Finish your schooling.  Once you have the training and certifications, you can always fall back on them.

2) Then follow your heart. Money is important,  but it ain't everything....  Nothing worse than being really good at a job you really don't like, or, waking up one day with a bad case of the "Could have, Would have, Should have's".

I'll try to be up front without being preachy. As a Christian, I put a lot of prayer into #2 last year before making the career change. Seeking God's plan for your life is always a good idea.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!