iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working in this heat! Any tips?

Started by Pete J, August 02, 2004, 05:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Thanks everyone for the great advice for Pete.

But we take good care of him, today when it was hot Pete went in the pool.

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

WV_hillbilly

Lenny you're saying that all the history books are right .  :D I think some of them don't know that war is over .  8)
Hillbilly

Pete J

Well yes, yesterday went better I think?? I drank about 7 pints of water and tried to stay in the shade more. The biggest thing that helped though was that we quit running the sawmill at noon, hosed the sawdust off and jumped in the pool for 20 minutes. The rest of the day was spent at the LogRite shop making sure the days shipments went out on time. I went through 3 sets of dry clothes yesterday. I hope this weather pattern breaks soon. BTW, I'm still looking for that mint tea.

MemphisLogger

LogRite,

My wife's brew is a handfull each of the following . . .

Spearmint  :)
Raspberry leaves  :)
Nettles  :o
Alfalfa  ???

Brew it up as you would any iced tea and enjoy.

BTW, this is her "Midwife's Recipe". She gives this to ladies in labor to get them rehydrated and mineralized without causing cramping.

I figure if it's good for a woman doing the hottest, hardest work on Earth, it must be good for someone doing the relatively easy stuff we do  :D ;D :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

SwampDonkey

The hot sun isn't much of an issue for me when cruising or layout, its the humidity. I prefer dry weather and 50-70 deg F. When I work at thinning, especially, I'm totally sweat soaked after the first tank (humid or not). Water pours off me like a duck. :D I have a water break after each tank burnt which is about every 50 minutes and I rest a bid so I cool down (10 -15 minutes). I usually take lotsa water and my gas to the bush and when either runs out I leave. (7 or 8 tanks usually) ;D But, being under the canopy helps block alot of the sun. What is way worse is the guy that  has to wade the slash and do density and quality because that cut slash throws heat like a furnace. Working in uncut softwood is a bit hotter than hardwood because those waxy needles also radiate alot of  heat back at ya. When I do layout or cruising I have a water bottle also in my cruiser's vest and my strips come out to the road so I can refill if I have to. In the summer if I have a large block to work on for cruising (or layout), I tent out and take a 10 gallon water cooler. If its more than 50 miles away. I set up camp in a spot where the morning sun will hit, but the afternoon sun is blocked. Some areas out in the bush can be almost frost in mornings. There's no Best Westerns in the outback. :D :D  I remember one Dang place I tented once that was in the 90's in the daytime and in the 30's my morning, and this was july. Had to build a fire in the pickup to get warm. ;) Glad I don't live there. :D :D

Well my posts usually meander along, so at least ya got a good chuckle. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dail_h

I kept up with my fluid intake for Wed. 3cups of morning coffee,usual,bowl of milk with cereal,cool water from fridg,32oz Gatorade on way to work 1 gal of cool water from my work cooler,20 oz bottle of pop in breakroom with supper,32 oz Gatorade bottle of water on the way home,finished 2 liter bottle of water in fridg when I got home. I usually stay soaked all day, I sweat like a moron learning japanese 'rithmatic
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

SwampDonkey

Bro_Noble :D :D

I can remember pickin rocks in my other life and the driver was usually my father and he liked to drive ahead all the time with that Dang tractor. So we had to walk twice as far with rocks. Actually, just couldn't keep back. :D  I had one pace and he could drive to the end of the field, I didn't care. I wasn't gonna cover the ground no faster. :D I remember when I was about 10 and I was driving the hay truck ahead for the crew, all they did was complain where I stopped the truck. So I shuts off the truck , got out and walked home, which was only about a mile away. :D

I always helped an uncle of mine get his hey in the barn. We never beat ourselves up over the work at hand, and the hey got piled in the barn just the same. ;D I remember once I tried it while wearing shorts.......errm I got scratched to pieces. Then when I showed my grand mother how scratched up I was she got the idea to put HOT/ICE on it. OUCH!!!!!! I had to get that mess off me quick, it burned like a hot poker. :D :D HOT/ICE is a theroputic rub, not an ointment for scratches. :D :D  Sigh.....the things I went through in my child-hood. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Swampdonkey
Grandma cured your problem of complaining about some minor scratches. I suspect you didn't whine to her again, unless it was real serious.  ;D  I had the same experience with my dear grandma - only it was with a cold or cough (thought I would get out of some chores she had lined up for me to do). After some of her ginger tea, I didn't ever complain or whine to her again. Stayed on her good side, or at least I tried.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

I second that about too much Gatorade. I made that mistake once.

I heard Iraq gets 105+ on a regular basis!

Bruce_A

I recently attended a farm auction where they had some mint in the barn.  I remembered something about mint tea, but couldn't recall everything.  I now have two 50 gal drums of dryed mint in my shop and I don't know if I like mint tea.  Any suggestions?

Bro. Noble

Grandmas-------you guys got me really remembering.  They had a cure for everything.  You wouldn't believe it ,  but I was a real skinny kid (was till I got married :D).  Everytime my grandma Barker came around,  she insisted that I needed worming.  I can taste those awful purple pills to this day >:( ;D.

Boy I miss my grandparents.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Oldtimer

I pull the trees into the shade and limb.

Work slow, drink often, use sun screen, take 15 minute breaks often. Tired = accident.
My favorite things are 2 stroke powered....

My husky 372 and my '04 F-7 EFI....

Den Socling

I often do welding, soldering, glue PVC pipe and such outside. This summer sun has been bringing me down. We got a couple of bandanna looking things called Chill-its. When they are dry, it feels like squashed Styrofoam or something is sewn into them. After you soak them in water for a half hour, something swells into a soft, wet mass inside the bandanna. They will stay wet for a day or two. I thought that they felt great with the wet stuff on the back of my neck but my daughter said that the lumber handlers my confuse my sexual preference  :o so I tied it around my head.

SwampDonkey

:D :D

Den:

As long as they don't come chasing ::) , I wouldn't pay them no mind. :D:D

Den Socling

I'm not taking any chances. You can't even trust the Governor!  >:(

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

I seen that on CNN this am. :D

Thank You Sponsors!