iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blessed.........Again!

Started by Kirk_Allen, August 04, 2004, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk_Allen

Now it may be no big deal to a bunch of you but realize that I have been wanting a lather for some time.  Today I got a free one with the 8 turning tools to go with it 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Its a Delta/Milwaukee lathe that the local manager of Rockler gave me for cutting his wood for free ;D ;D  Last year he asked me to cut up some old maple in his backyard.  It took me about 2 hours and I had so much fun I told him it was on me.  That was the best thing I have ever done.  He has provided great discounts on stuff at the store and now a free Lathe 8) 8)

I know its old, but its solid as a rock and still works great.  I couldnt talk him out of the Nova chuck he had on it so I will have to invest in a new chuck but I think I did OK.  It has a 1/3 HP motor right now but I just happen to have a brand new Baldar 1 HP that will work mighty fine as an upgrade 8) 8).  I knew there was a reason I was holding onto that motor for the last 5 years 8)

etat

Well, I've seen from a lot of your post that you are well blessed with good luck.  Some how it allways seems to pay off more than you'd think, in one way or another.  Getting those discounts are great. Congragulations.

However, I'm a thinking you done got took on that lathe.  Actualy, I'm pretty sure it's a piece of junk not worth fooling with.  Why even heck, that old motor is already over five years old.  Not good.  Not good at all. ???  

I'll be happy to drive up one weekend and remove that junk from off of your property! :D :) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

WV_hillbilly

That is great to get something  like   that given to you . I hope some of that good fortune you have going on rubs off on me when we meet at the Pig roast .   :D
Hillbilly

Kirk_Allen

cktate:
Sounds like you have enough junk from that shed cleaning project ;D

hillbilly, good fortune in on the way!  You will be plesently surprised ;D

WV_hillbilly

Kirk

I can hardly contain myself . I like suprises.   I have a few suprises up my sleave too .   ;) ;D

Do I need too bring my tandem axle trialer ?   ???
Hillbilly

Kirk_Allen

Only if you want to divert to Kansas, IL ;D
Thats where all the goodies are!

WV_hillbilly

That's a little out of the way on this trip . But one of these days I will  make it that way . :)   It would be neat to make a cross country road trip and visit all the Forum members that would have you stop by . But then again a bigger truck and trailer  would be in order .  :D    At least that's what I would tell the wife .
Hillbilly

SwampDonkey

I too have one of them Delta Lathes, but a different model. Nice heavy cast and no vibrating. The base and tool rest of your model are practically identical. The newer models have push and turn handles to clamp down and to adjust the axis in and out to fit your work piece. The tool rest has a heavy steal clap ya just turn clockwise to tighten. The motor is not enclosed and it has a lever to tighten the belt , which adjusts the rpm. I may some day figure how to wire it up to be reversible.(pro'lly just need a different switch eh?) Good when sanding a piece in 2 directions. I have no sanding wheel on the outside. I have a Craftsman table belt/wheel sander instead. Those turning tools look rugged enough. I have tried cheeper tools and the metal is too soft causing the metal to bend on a kickback, no good. Since then I invested in Veritas turning tools from Lee Valley and have very good luck. No one stocks decent shop tools in my area, 'cept table saws or Makita hand tools. Other than that ya gotta watch what your buying.

Congrats of your gift. With all the fine wood your gathering you'll have lotsa turning stock.

When should I expect by first bowl? :) ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!