iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber framed pergola

Started by Dave Shepard, June 27, 2008, 09:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Anyone build one? I've been asked to make one out of black locust. It is long enough that it will need the "plates" scarfed together. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

The most important thing about building something like this is understanding where the water will go when it penetrates joints.
Possibly creating small weep holes to let the water flow out of any mortise that can catch and hold water.
This will prevent rot from water.

Good luck.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Thanks Jim. I was giving that some thought. Post tops will be covered by the plate, but I am worried about the bottoms of the braces and where the cross "joists" will rest on the plate.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

If you want to post some design ideas/drawing, I'll take a look at them and we can discuss some possible solutions.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

FrankLad

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 28, 2008, 03:32:29 PM
If you want to post some design ideas/drawing, I'll take a look at them and we can discuss some possible solutions.....

Jim Rogers

Another example of why this is such a nice forum.  Had to comment!

Dave Shepard

Thanks Jim. I'll try to sketch something later. I was going to download sketchup now that I have high speed access, but it won't run on Win98 or Linux. :-\

Dave

Raphael

Quote from: Dave Shepard on June 30, 2008, 06:01:13 PM
I was going to download sketchup now that I have high speed access, but it won't run on Win98 or Linux. :-\

I've been faced with the same problem, and given the luck we've had with SWMBO's new WinXP box I'm thinking my old Vemco and drafting table have a long life ahead of them.   ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

moonhill

I really like my drawing table, and there is no learning curve, I am already there.  But I do like those drawings that just pop up.   Tim B.
This is a test, please stand by...

Don P

What about a run of copper flashing bent neatly over the plates before the ceiling joists go down, put a little hem and drip lip kick on the bottom edge of the copper  ???

Thank You Sponsors!