iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this heart pine?

Started by 4x4American, May 22, 2016, 11:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

The pieces that have that red hue and that pronounced grain, is that considered heart pine?  They are much heavier than the other pieces.  Would they be good for a raised bed garden application (sawed at 2x12)?  It's hard to see in the picture, but they are much more red-der-er than some of the pieces.  And some of these were really light while the red ones were real heavy.  Thanks

These pieces come out of slammer pine logs that look like this:

Boy, back in my day..

Cazzhrdwd

Not sure what kind of pine it is, but termites love Antique heart pine and pine in general, learned that the hard way. :)
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

4x4American

Yes..I have a couple who wants to make raised bed gardens with some form of naturally rot resistant wood, and all I can really get a hold of is pine and I believed this to be heart pine.  The hemlock around here all seems to be shakey and finding locust or cedar is few and far between and to get a 2x12x12 would be near impossible due to the small size.  I had read about it on here from WDH's description in the whatcha sawing thread, but I wasnt sure if eastern white pine makes it.  But feeling these pieces they are extra heavy and have that red color. 
Boy, back in my day..

Texas Ranger

Would  not appear to be, by southern standards 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Hiway40frank

Im in the adk too and have used whole pine logs to make garden beds with. They are about 10 years old and just starting to rot on the dirt side . I figure they have atleast 10-15 years left. Oak should outlast the pine too but 20-25 years is a long time. Oh and the pine I used was maybe 7-8in at the stump so it was for sure not heart pine.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Heart pine comes from the long leaf pine tree.  It is much darker red.  This does not look like it.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Alligator

Heart Southern Yellow Pine (long leaf) would appear like this. It only grows in a belt of the south from North, & South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama Mississippi, Louisianan, Arkansas & Texas. Maybe a little north of that. Notice the board on the far right the grain is very tight.

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

4x4American

So will that old pine I have be any good for ground contact?  I had figured that since its heavier its pitch soaked, I've heard some old boys say theyve seen pine stumps up here in da north woods that are 40 years old and havent rotted yet and I figgered that be this
Boy, back in my day..

Hiway40frank

It will be fine, up here we only have a few months a year that wood gets a chance to rot not like in the south were it rots year round. I know in my town every other pole barn is white pine just stuck right in the ground and they go for 30 years.

Thank You Sponsors!