iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stick thickness for Nyle L53 (Update)

Started by Larry, February 20, 2023, 07:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I normally dry using fluted 3/4" sticks.  For some strange reason I was reading my Nyle manual and they recommend double sticks for 10/4 and thicker lumber.  So...I had a stack of air dried 10/4 live edge walnut slabs ready for my L53 kiln.  The slabs were all on 3/4" sticks so I changed them out to 1-1/2" new sticks (wide thick slabs are heavy :'().  Got another load of 10/4 clean edge walnut lumber to hot start as soon as the slabs are done.

My question, what is the advantage of using thick sticks on thick lumber?  Anybody else using doubled up sticks or thick sticks?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

Not me, I use 3/4" on everything.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

blackhawk

Beginning on page 19 of "Drying Hardwood Lumber" it talks about benefits of using thicker stickers.  The main effect seems to be more uniform drying, but you lose air speed and kiln capacity.  The uniform drying is probably why Nyle suggests the "double" stickers in their manual.  But 1-1/2" thick stickers seems a little overkill in my opinion, maybe try 1" thick stickers for 10/4 lumber.
Lucas 7-23 with slabber. Nyle L53 kiln. Shopbot CNC 48x96

Stephen1

I use 7/8" breeze wood stickers. I have tried to sticker with thicker for beams and thick slabs. I believe it screws with my airflow if the rest of the load is 7/8". 
Would more airflow around the thick wood  = faster drying? Or just a more uniform drying?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

I think it's more an issue when using deeper or double stacks of wood, the Nyle kiln designs are setup for that, but double stacks can be real issues if you don't have enough fans.  If your airflow is a measured 150 to 250 fpm through the hardwood you are good.  

I measure my airflow when I set up the kiln.  The biggest issue with airflow is during the air drying, that is when the airflow is hard to control, not so much in the kiln where you can control it.

I use fluted stickers for everything now, they virtually eliminate sticker stain and insure proper airflow.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Larry

I wonder what Nyle's viewpoint is on thick stickers for greater than 10/4?  Wake up Stan :D @K-Guy 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

K-Guy

Our manual's statement is basically pulled from the Dry Kiln Operators Manual. Myself, I would use 1" for 8/4 and 3/4" for 4/4. For any thing over that I would use 1 1/2" or 2"

Larry
Be careful, I get grumpy if you disturb my nap!!  smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

I dry 6" thick mantle slabs on 3/4" stickers.  I don't see the point of having different thickness stickers for different thickness wood if airflow can be held at proper levels.  
YellowHammerisms:

Larry

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 21, 2023, 02:00:53 PM
I don't see the point of having different thickness stickers for different thickness wood if airflow can be held at proper levels.  
That's one of the thoughts that prompted my initial question.

Another thought is I would hate to have white oak or most any oak on thick sticks air drying when those 40 mph low humidity March winds start.

firefighter ontheside

I assumed it was so that the airflow over thicker wood would be increased.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Larry

I dried one load of 10/4 live edge walnut on 1-1/2" sticks than dried a second load of clean edge 10/4 walnut on 3/4" sticks.  Both loads were started at 16 - 20% MC (air dried).  I could not see any appreciable difference in drying time or quality.  The second load did stall a little longer than the first load.

Based on previous responses and my experience I'll just use 3/4" sticks from here on out.

Thank You Sponsors!