iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick setworks

Started by NMFP, December 19, 2011, 10:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMFP

Yes, I actually went the other day and started loosening everything and it works well but it will need disassembled, leaned, painted and lubricated for sure.  It works ok as it is right now but i am positive it will work better after lubricating a little.

The one on the left, there are pins in it and they set the advancement for board thickness.  Do you know off hand if the pin holes are set for nominal dimensions such as 4/4, 5/4 and so on or do they have overage built in so that the boards can be sawn with overage such as 1-1/8" and 1-3/8" respectively?  Most of the handset mills I sawed on a few years ago did not have the pins and we watched the setworks for our board thickness and location.

bandmiller2

NMFP,those holes in the quadrant are nominal and include the desired thickness such as 4/4 plus saw kerf.Those dimentions are adjustable for different kerf saw and special dimensions between the pins.Adjustments are made by how far the pawl yoke goes back to its rest there should be an adjust bolt there. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

Also the 'head' of the pins can be made different size to account for finer adjustments.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frickman

NMFP,

You cannot put a foot receder on your mill the way it is setup, just like Ron said. Like bandmiller2 said, there should be an adjustment bolt on the back for fine tuning the distance you move the headblocks on every set. You may also have some shims that are bolted on back there that are set up like feeler gauges. You can flip them in and out for a rougher adjustment. I don't see any in your picture though. With a little work and ingenuity you can make that setworks work as well as the fancier ones.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

NMFP

Frickman,

I believe you are correct that it will work as good as the fancier ones out there.  I am beginning the tear down and rebuild process this winter/spring and will make sure everything is working correctly when it is reassembled.  I havent seen another one out there like this so i was sort of confused when I first spotted it.  Will be nice to get it rebuilt and set up so that I can begin sawing with it.

Thank You Sponsors!