iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kubota B1700 tractor

Started by Wlmedley, July 13, 2023, 04:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

I've got a problem.My BIL brought his Kabota tractor up here after I volunteered to get it running.The problem is that it has probably sat 4 or 5 years sense it has been ran.I don't really know why he bought it to begin with as he already had two other tractors so when this one wouldn't start he just let it set.Anyway I told him it was a shame to let it completely ruin and I could probably get it running.It only shows 500hrs on meter.Checked it out last fall and found rack stuck in fuel injection pump and one delivery valve stuck.Pulled pump and he took it to a reputable shop that does pump work and had it rebuilt for around $350.I installed it and it would smoke and hit but still wouldn't start.Also I checked glow plugs and all are working.I pulled injectors and found they were dripping and spray pattern erratic.Took them to same shop and they rebuild them.Around $200 more.Still wouldn't start.New fuel and fuel system cleaned.I checked timing,valves etc. I felt bad that he spent that much money and it still wouldn't run so I spent $150 for a kit to check compression.Spec called for 300lbs min.and I only had 125lbs on worst cylinder and 175 on other two.Squirted oil in cylinder and compression came up to nearly normal for a few revolutions and then dropped back down.Problem is either rings need replaced or possibly cylinder walls scored.I told him I needed to pull cylinder head and see how bad it is.He has now decided he doesn't want to put any more money in it and told me I could have it. I offered to buy it before I started working on it but at that time he wouldn't sale it.No way I will take it without paying but I really don't know what it's worth and what else I might find.It's 4 wheel drive and has a heavy duty mower under it.It's also hydrostatic drive and I don't know what setting so long has done to it.Any ideas what I should pay for it.He has always been fair with me and I don't want any hard feelings after I get it running and cleaned up (if and when I do)
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

moodnacreek

I have been working on 2 3cyl. diesels, a kubota and a shiburia. Both have head problems. The kubota would only start with 2 batteries spinning fast and then not run right. We could not find any flaw in the head gasket but that is what fixed it. The other one, a ford 1510 can be started on either but hammers to a stop and lifts the radiator cap. Both of these sat a long time and that is not good without being started and run up to temperature every month or so. I bet yours would run if spun fast enough. If I wanted it I would find out the average price for it in good shape and deduct all costs to make it that way.

Wlmedley

I think you're right about starting if I could get it to turn a little faster because it doesn't crank over very fast.With hydrostatic drive there is no way to disconnect drive train when cranking.Pretty sure low compression is my main problem and wandering if cylinder walls may have rusted or rings are stuck.I don't have any experience working on equipment that has been setting that long.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter,Honda Pioneer 700,Kabota 1700

beenthere

Put it in the "for sale" forum here, and advertise it "as is". i.e. shake loose of it hanging over your head. Share any money you get with your BIL and send 5% to be kosher with the Forestry Forum per the for sale rules here. 

Just sayin... 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

BIL said if I would give him $1000 for the tractor he would be happy.I have a 10 year old cub cadet now but it is not built as heavy as this one.I pulled tractor over in the driveway and cleaned it up,removed mower deck and side covers.A little rubbing compound and wax and it now looks worth repairing.I hate to work on a dirty machine.Found out parts are going to be pretty expensive but I figure even if I have to put another $2000 in it I'll still be ahead.Will be nice to have 4 wheel drive and maybe cut down on what I now have to cut with weed eater.

Don P

Well it looks good parked  ;D. I like Kubota reliability but they are as crazy as Deere on parts.

21incher

I have been buying parts for my old BX online at Messicks.com . They always come out cheaper then my dealer even with shipping costs. They have a fairly good stock and parts lists for many different kubota models online.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Wlmedley

Thanks for the info 21incher,I have been looking at Messicks parts lists and they seem to have a good selection of parts for my machine but I have never ordered anything from them.Nice to know you have had good luck with them and I'll probably order what I need there as soon as I figure out what that might be. I have a dealer about 30 miles away but they don't have a very good reputation for getting parts in a timely manner.

thecfarm

I found the timely issue with 2 dealers too.  ::)
2 weeks!!!!!!  :o  :o  ??? 
That was one of the reasons I got rid of it. 
Should be able to order form a dealer and get the parts you need.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Last order I broke the lift arm on my BX and my dealer wanted $142 with tax plus hardware and 7 days to get when I called. Found it online at Messicks along with new hardware for about $125 shipped. Placed order before noon and they shipped same day. Had everything the next afternoon by a brown truck that handed it to me. I still buy oil and filters from my dealer because he gives me good prices on machines and fun to see what's new.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Wlmedley

I've almost quit trying to buy anything locally except groceries.Went to NAPA the other day to get a couple Kohler engine oil filters as my welder and mower use the same filter.Counter man put them on the counter and said I owed him $57.I expected them to be a little more than a auto filter but not that much.Looked online and found them for $12 a piece. I believe in supporting local business but that's a little ridiculous.Also online filters were Wix which is who makes NAPA gold filters.Guy who sales Cub Cadet and Stihl chainsaws acts like he's doing you a favor when he has to order you parts and doesn't get in any hurry doing it.I hate to drive all over town looking for something and usually come home empty handed. I guess I'll just keep UPS in business.

Don P

We're the same way. I like to keep the parts counters there because they know a lot of stuff I don't, but... ya gotta meet me halfway. Anymore I can look it up and get it here quicker than the counter man. More than ever, he needs to be able to hand me the right part the next morning, somewhat competitive, or it makes no sense to drive a half hour each way to return empty or wrong.

Years ago we were building a house down near Fayetteville, NC, heading towards the coast. Once we started playing "where ya from, who do you know", that man's uncle had the keys to my NAPA up here, and every other one on the way from there to here. He was the overnight delivery man. I enjoyed knowing who was making the rounds when I called in.

GRANITEstateMP

Wlmedley, that thing is CLEAN. I also have bought stuff locally and online from Messicks. 
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Wlmedley

Granite, I spent several hours cleaning it up.My BIL had never washed it all the time he had it but it cleaned up good and sheet metal is in really good shape.I pulled the cylinder head off yesterday and placed an order with Messicks for rings and upper gasket kit and a few other small items.$650,I hope that will get it running.If it does another $500 should get it in good shape.They sure are proud of their parts. :laugh:

21incher

I used to think parts were expensive for my Deere until I bought a Kubota.  The last 3 years Kubota part prices have skyrocketed. But atleast most are available.  Good luck, that is a nice little tractor. 

moodnacreek

Putting the money into that Kubota to fix it right now may seam like the whole deal is too expensive. But if the tractor is kept under cover and treated right, over time it will be a deal. Machinery well only get more expensive and those little 4x4 tractors are handy.

Wlmedley

Got my Kubota tore down today.Wouldn't take much more to pull engine completely out but I don't have a engine stand and figured for the work I'm doing it's at a good height.When parts get here I'll drop oil pan and pull pistons.If everything still checks out ok I'll hone cylinders replace rings and reassemble.Plan on rechecking compression as soon as I get head back on.Hopefully it will be back in spec.When I get it all back together it will be kept in a dry barn  :laugh:

beenthere

Nice progress. Looks like the head is off already. Look forward to what you find out. 

Maybe I'll get some incentive from your rebuild to pull the PTO clutch out of my CUT and see what is causing it to stick so tight. (Will engage just fine, but hard to disengage.) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wlmedley

Beenthere,I know what you mean.I've found making myself start on a project is the hardest part.I also would much rather put something back together than take it apart.

Wlmedley

Correction to previous post.Would rather put it back together than take it apart as long as I was the one that took it apart  :laugh:

moodnacreek

The 3 cylinder kubota engine we just put back together was very hard to start and had a slight miss. No. 3 was low on compression.  We did rings, rod bearings, no.3 piston and rod , main seal and a valve job. Non of this was needed but we could not find the reason for the miss so we did everything while the motor was out. It was almost certainly the head gasket but no way to tell. It is like new now.

Wlmedley

Pulled pistons out today and cleaned up all my parts.Found reason for low compression.Rings stuck on all cylinders.Had a time getting rings off and piston grooves cleaned out.Pistons in good shape,bearings look good and bores good.I'm happy.Parts came in from Messicks today and I should have enough to get thing back together.More to come.

moodnacreek

When You put it back together [do i need to say this?]  clean the radiator fins where the eye can't see. They plug up all the time If the tractor is used for mowing. This problem is the death of the compact tractor and very common. I use the 'diesel antifreeze ' and dump it every 2 or 3 years and it comes out so clean. 

TroyC

I'm wondering why a diesel engine with only 500 hours has a stuck ring problem. Engine trait for model or lack of maintenance?

moodnacreek

I think it sat. Condensation can do a lot of damage.

Thank You Sponsors!