iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I live in Wisconsin but in 25 years want retire to the South.

Started by Small Slick, January 08, 2015, 11:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Another nice area is the Ozark mts in nw arkansas and sw Mo. Low cost of living, low taxes, and reasonable property prices..as the say there, the mountains aren't very high, but the valleys are deep...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Small Slick

Did more research on Myrtle Beach. The current crime rate is a big turn off. We are really in the absolute beginning stages of the search.  I'm interested in the "Savannha" area but know nothing about it.

Keep the info coming about low taxes and cost of living. So far we are seeing family homes going for a lot less than they do here.

John

4x4American

I recently talked with a guy who lives not far from here.  He's selling his WM and house and then he's gone to carolina.  He has I believe 5 acres of land here in ny and the taxes are astronomical.  He has 100 acres of land in NC and the taxes are around $1k/year. 
Boy, back in my day..

Warped

My rule of thumb for retirement is that if I have heard of it, I aint moving there............and I'll pretend I've never heard of Key West :D
Good with the rough stuff and rough with the good stuff

Gadrock

After you have lived down South for a little bit you will soon find out there is NO REASON to possess a map North of Memphis nor East of Atlanta.

Of course there are some mighty fine folks from those other places but their numbers are few. SOME are FF folks and some are just *DanG Yankees. A *DanG yankee sometimes moves down SOUTH and forgets to go home.

And it is all in fun you guys.

I love the South and yet there are things I dislike about it. But mostly I desire to stay here the remaining days I have. And I may visit up North sometimes...like a Pig Roast...and enjoy the whole trip, like last year.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Sixacresand

If I had the means to move further South it would be to somewhere rural in Nothern Florida closer to the grand boys.  I don't know anything about the negative stuff like taxes, insurance and zoning.  As far as the summer heat, it don't get any hotter and humid there than middle Georgia. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

4x4American

A yankee is a northerner (one who lives above the mason dixon line), a *DanG yankee is a northerner that moves to the southland.  From what I've heard, about South Carolina, you might better stay away from the low country, stick to upstate if you're looking there.  Ornery old money types in the low country, sandlappers they go by, and they don't like yankees.  I'm sure that close to the coast is fine.  Who knows if that's still the case but that's what I've heard, just imparting that information upon you. 
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!