iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newbie - Stihl 441 vs Makita 6401 w BB

Started by gemniii, August 29, 2009, 06:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemniii

I'm in the market for a saw and have narrowed it down to these two.  Primary application will be felling small (<30"DBH) timber for clearing trails on my land in NE Mississippi.
Immediate application this fall will be to take down about 5 decent sized trees around my property in No. Virginia, so I want to get something soon.
I've got a 8yr? old very lightly used Stihl 021, only used to cut down about 4 trees.
I also am thinking of getting an Alaskan mill, or similar.

I figure when I get to REALLY sawing I'll have a portable mill and a bigger saw, but for now those are my choices.

The Stihl runs about $820 and the 6401 about $640.

All advice appreciated.

Cut4fun

I would get the Dolmar 7900 or the Makita 6401 and put the OEM 7900 top end on it for $189. The BB8400 is having fitments issues from those that have tried them. JMO.

or buy a 460. JMO again  :)

Its your money, so do what you like.

Reddog

Quote from: gemniii on August 29, 2009, 06:59:01 PM
I also am thinking of getting an Alaskan mill, or similar.

If you really are going to run a chainsaw mill. I would tell you to look at a 660 or similar size saw.
Milling uses alot of power and is hard on saws.

chipsfly09

I have a 7900-- I ran my dad's Makita 6400 or dcs 6401 or whatever it is-- I really like both saws. In small to medium wood there is little difference IMO.  The 64 is less expensive than the 7900--   I agree with the other poster-- Milling is a tough grind on a saw-- As much as I love my 7900 it would not be my first choice for a milling saw-- but for handling, power to weight ratio-- general felling/bucking   the Makita/dolmar saws are hard to beat.. Every body has an opinion :)

Thank You Sponsors!