iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will AnchorSeal Melt Off In A Kiln ?

Started by UNCLEBUCK, January 26, 2004, 09:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

Last year I used paint on log ends but this spring I am going to use anchorseal on the log ends and then right from the sawblade all boards going into solar kiln. Will AnchorSeal stay on or is it going to melt off .Should I order anchorseal or not ! Please respond and many thanks to Jeff and crew for this great new spot on the wonderful forestry forum !  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Norm

I won't melt off UB, it seems to soak in better at higher temps. I like to put one coat on the logs after I've freshened up the cut, then let it dry a day and then put another coat on.

Frank_Pender

UB, for me, I have had no problem with it melting off.  Like was said, it seems to become more permanent to the end of the board while in the kiln.  I get my kiln up to 165* for at least 3 or 4 days atthe end of the cycle with no problems witht the seal. ;D
Frank Pender

UNCLEBUCK

thanks Frank and Norm , sounds simple enough but I just did not know .  Does anchorseal gunk up the planer much when planing after the board is dry?   :P

Norm

Nope is doesn't UB, there is such a thin layer your taking off in the planer you don't notice it. :)

Frank_Pender

UB, I have coated whole boards on both sides and still run them through my 8" x 20" planer and not had any such problem.   The is also no problem with the Grizzely exhaust system which pulls the material through a 6" pvc pipe that has two 90* turns, before going outside onto the forest floor.
Frank Pender

UNCLEBUCK

thanks Frank, that is good to hear. I have a grizzly 15 inch planer but I took off the dust collector snout as I dont have any more room in my little woodshop so I crank up the air hose and open the doors now and then but sure would be nice to have a dust collector . This anchorseal sounds like good stuff and am going to order 5 gallons soon so I always wondered about this question . I guess I have another question about anchorseal and that is like from now until spring thaw if I am cutting oak and ash trees down and everything is frozen , could I wait until spring to apply anchorseal to the log ends because the logs are frozen solid right now . thanks again

Norm

If you get a day where it's above 20F or so I'd put some on UB. The folks at anchorseal are real nice and you can call and ask them what they think. Don't e-mail them cause they're not very good at answering those.

https://www.uccoatings.com/prod_anchorseal.php

I wonder why they use a secure server for their index page, do you know Jeff?

Thank You Sponsors!