iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which basic mill is faster - bandsaw or swing mill?

Started by 54Dutchman, January 26, 2012, 04:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I watched Meadows Miller (Chris) saw a Red Oak log at our "Chickin Crispin" last year.  I do not believe that those blades would know the difference in hardness between any of the species.

Chris used the sawmill's built in sharpener to do a touch up on the teeth before sawing.  Jonnywood from Columbia, Tn. looks on.

And then made short work of the Red Oak log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Last log I milled with my Lucas 10-30 was a hickory about 16' long and roughly 34".  The owner wanted 2x8s.  It was slower than cutting pine.  But it was still faster than my 2 offbearers!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

zopi

I think Peder has nailed it...just own both! lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dakota

Every time I have hit a big nail, I've had to change the blade and have it retiped.  For this reason, I keep three extra blades ready to go at all times.
Dave Rinker

terrifictimbersllc

Damage is going to depend whether you hit it crosswise or sideways.  Nails will probably be the least of your metal worries.  Bolts and parts of your mill are worse.  Make sure you have full face protection on, if it can put out your eye it can also tear up your face or possibly worse put a hole in your neck at the wrong place.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Okrafarmer

Yes, I'm sure the swing blades can fling objects (including broken teeth) much harder than a bandmill. Hitting a horseshoe in the middle of a tree could be bad-- An old circle mill hit a horseshoe once while I was there-- not RIGHT there, but on the property and I got to see the cut and the damage afterward. Shut down sawing for the day. It was a club demonstration and I was hoping to get my cherry logs milled for free, but it was not to be. Hitting a horseshoe would be a bad day for any mill.  But not so bad for a band mill, only $25 worth of damage and a few minutes to replace.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Magicman on March 18, 2012, 09:57:29 AM
I watched Meadows Miller (Chris) saw a Red Oak log at our "Chickin Crispin" last year.  I do not believe that those blades would know the difference in hardness between any of the species.

Chris used the sawmill's built in sharpener to do a touch up on the teeth before sawing.  Jonnywood from Columbia, Tn. looks on.
And then made short work of the Red Oak log.

What size or model of mill is that? (obviously Lucas, based on Chris's trendy garb).
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Magicman

I will have to defer to Chris for that answer, but I think that it was whatever size is their largest.

Chris is probably in the air or about ready to be by now.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Quote from: Okrafarmer on March 18, 2012, 09:29:54 AM
And one more question-- I think I know the answer, but how do swing mills do in really hard wood, like oak, hickory, persimmon, not to mention whatever hardwoods those of you in other countries have? I know the entry level band mill I use struggles more and more the harder the wood is.

They do well on hardwoods, especially if it's nice straight grain and chips out nice and clean as you are cutting.

Some of the hardest cutting I've done is crazy grain Port Orford Cedar which is pretty soft, but the knots and crazy curly grain and tension gave me some trouble. Same place with some really hard bluegum eucalyptus (about as hard as white oak) and I could breeze through that.

But the worst that happens is you need to slow down on the gnarly stuff, there's not much you can't cut. Because the saw head is pushed by hand I don't think there is enough force involved to really destroy a blade and throw shrapnel like a big circle mill can. Even if you hit a horseshoe, the carbide tips chip off and you stop cutting. Main hazard is stray bits of wood, knots, small limbs etc that get cut lose and tossed by the blade. Those CAN hurt, hence the chaps and face shield recommendations, and keep bystanders away from that side of the mill.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Hilltop366

I see the Lucas 6/18 is $12,999.99, it is like apples to oranges but I would at least compare it to a band-mill around the same price for a $ to $ comparison of what you get, the Wood-mizer lt 30 is $12995.00,

A Cooks MP32 $12,587.00 30hp Kohler

Okrafarmer

I think if a person is mainly working woods under about 1,000 on the Janka scale, and/or mainly logs under 20" diameter, a small band mill works great. The more expensive hydraulic bandmills can handle larger and harder logs, especially with the use of a debarker to keep the blade sharper longer. Maybe I would have better luck with the hardwood logs if I were to use a blade specifically designed for hardwoods-- the ones I've been using are the ones that are supposed to work for hardwood and softwood. Maybe I should get some better blades. Then again-- that would take away from my "saving-up-to-buy-a-swing-mill" fund.

Thank You Sponsors!