iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on how an 18 hp gas compares with a 10 hp electric (single phase)

Started by fishpharmer, January 07, 2009, 03:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

I have a homemade mill with an 18 hp v twin briggs.  I recently bought a 10 hp single phase motor.
If you happened to see my mill in other posts its pretty large and I think it will remain stationary.  I would go three phase but am not sure if I can get it. 

It seems the electric would be lower maintenance once installed. 

I noticed a manufacturer had a 50 plus hp diesel or a 25 hp electric.  Wasn't sure why.  Figured they were similar power.  I think electric has more torque for the same horsepower.  Not for sure.

How do they compare?

What would you do?

If i can help with any fish or pond questions let me know.
Thanks,
jdphish
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Kelvin

Howdy,
I'm switching out my woodmizer to an electric one as electric motors are much better at torque than gas motors.  They say roughly 1 hp elec equals 2hp gas, diesel is better at torque than gas so its a lower ratio i'm sure.  Electric is handy, though mine isn't up and running yet but i haven't thought of switching any of the motors in my woodshop to gas!  Operational costs are quite a bit less and electric motors last quite awhile.  Wish i could find a 10hp single phase, those are hard to find. 
Good luck,
KP

fishpharmer

Thanks Kelvin

I will entertain offers on the electric motor.  Pickup only.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Slabs

2 gasoline to 1 electric is a bit optomistic.  Baum hydraulics posted a gasoline-hydraulic-electric conversion years ago but I can't find it in my old catalog.  One-and-a-half gas to one electric is closer but, I believe, still optomistic.

I've tried to attach a pic with a ten-and-a-half single-phase from W. W. Grainger but the attach feature isn't working for me right now.  For those interested, check my gallery from the link to My Photos over on the left.  I think this motor has possibilities for small mills.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

bandmiller2

Electric is the way to go if your stationary.If you can run the parisitic loads  off a seperate motor its a big help.In the northern hyd. catalog they give the ratio gas to elect.Fisher I think you will find the 10hp very comparable to the 18 gas if not better.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

Thank You Sponsors!