iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New blade issue

Started by TroyC, October 16, 2021, 07:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

Think I found it! Top pic is band between two boards, dark tooth left of center is suspect.

The crescent wrench trick located it. Thanks YellowHammer!

btulloh- I had to go to HF for a SAE wrench, all my adjustables were mertic. :D

Customsawyer- thanks for the invite and I'll definitely come see you in a week or so when I get back up. I did not set tooth yet as my digital caliper had dead battery. Maybe I can catch the Moultrie show next year!

kelLOGg- is that tool homemade? Looks nice!

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. FF and its members are the greatest!

jimbarry

All good advice given. Only thing I can add is the cheapest set up I've seen to set teeth is something like this. 

Silverfoxfintry

I find it interesting when reading posts. Same tool, different name.
In Scotland an adjustable spanner is called a "Shifter" or "a shifting spanner" in the USA it's a "Crescent wrench".
On a similar topic, what is the difference between a "Cant Hook" and a Peeve? (I think I have spelled that correctly)
Take care.
Silverfox 

JoshNZ

Peavey I thought

One has a spike off the end, one has a spike on the side of the end, I think... Very interchangeable I'd say.

barbender

They are identical except for the Peavey has a point on the end, that is useful for getting between logs and for prying. Silverfox, you fellows over there call potato chips "crisps" and cookies, "biscuits". I don't know what to make of it, other than I've been watching too much of the Great British Baking Show or whatever it is called that my wife has had on TV😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

It depends more on how you locally measure the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, than how the tool is used.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

African Swallow or European Swallow?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

btulloh

:D :D :D :D :D

First time I've seen a Monty Python reference on the FF.
HM126

Magicman

Quote from: Silverfoxfintry on October 19, 2021, 03:06:57 AMOn a similar topic, what is the difference between a "Cant Hook" and a Peeve? (I think I have spelled that correctly)
This should answer your question:  LINK to LOGRITE
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

@Silverfoxfintry ,

When you come visit let us know and we will assign you a translator so you can understand the language/communicate and don't make any social blunders. :D Most Americans aren't going to have a clue when you guys come over and talk about the boot and the bonnet or a wheel brace or where the loo is and asking for a spanner is not likely going to get you a wrench the first time you ask. Also when we are pithed we are mad not drunk. Yes, you want chips not crisps over here. Commenting on a ladies fanny may get you an eye roll but it won't get you slapped. Suggestions about smoking a fag in the USA will probably get you landed in jail instead of getting lung cancer.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Whatever you do, just nod your head yes when the waitress asks you if you want some "ice" with your drink.  The long, awkward silence that otherwise follows while you try to figure out what it was she said will be deafening.  :D 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Silverfoxfintry

Thank you all for the translations.
I have experienced the deafening silence after been asked if I want Ice!
In the UK it is an offence to add ice or water to a drink without asking first.
This is because you would then be selling under proof spirits.
Same language? Sometimes.
I have a daughter living in Watertown near Boston. Next time I am visiting I will try and look some of you up.
One last question. Why is the log on the mill called a Cant?
Is it because you can't roll it without a hook?

Take care.

Silverfox.

WV Sawmiller

Foxy,

Don't even think about Bostonian as an American language. Even we don't understand it here.

The log does not really become a cant until a side or 4 has been sawed off of it. Around here lots of folks call them a "caint". I don't know where the term Cant came from. Maybe one of the smarter members will chime in.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

It's called a cant because "naked log" just didn't fly. The ice thing has more to do with the WV drawl, me sitting there with my gutter brain and girlfriend completely mis understanding what the waitress said and thinking "wow, this place is different, she sure is friendly" and it showed on my face. Girlfriend, who is now my wife said to me "I know EXACTLY what you THOUGHT she said" all because of the look on my face!  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I have no idea why a cant is called a cant, and I also have no idea why a log is called a log nor a tree a tree ???

Google 'cant', there are several definitions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

randy d

cuz they cant tink of nutn better

Chuck White

Near as I can figure, a log becomes a cant once that it has one flat side, and remains a cant until all that is left is the dog board!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!