iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stump grinders

Started by Dan_Shade, April 30, 2006, 10:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

any of you guys ever used a small stump grinder?  i need to rent one to bust up a big maple stump beside my driveway, i'm wondering how badly the small ones beat you up or if they go relatively smoothly.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

moosehunter

I used one once. 20 hp. Two wheels. Handle bars. It is work!
The heavier the better!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Dale Hatfield

The Moose hunter is right on the money.
The hand  run units that kinda work like roto-tiller.  Will not be much fun to run. Unless you cutting down small stumps in the fenced back yard with small gate opening.
If you have a choice a unit that is run by Hydraulic  controls will be much better.
A unit like the Rayco stump cutter Jr will be much better than the manual one.

If you have no choice and you have to get manual grinder.
Make sure stump is as low as possible.   Cut as much as you can with chainsaw.
Other option would be to check rental price against Stump grinding company. $100 bucks from them will take a pretty good size stump. Unless you have a lot of roots to chase out.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

getoverit

the local Taylor rental store rents the good hydraulic ones that come with wheels and you pull behind a vehicle. I dont know what they charge for them though. I have a friend that will take out a pretty big stump for me for $100. He grinds it to about a foot or better below the ground surface. It is worth it to me just to get it done and then spend my time doing something else.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Blake22

I see people all the time renting those little grinders for big stumps and most of them give up and call me like they should have to start with. I've got a 630 vermeer, pull behind with a 35 hp wisconsin. I only charge about $1.50 per inch (diameter) but my trip charge from Florida might be a little steep. I'd look for someone in your area that's in the business. They probably have a minimum charge but it'll be worth it.
Blake

Thank You Sponsors!