iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stc lumberjack boots

Started by eastcoastsoxfan, June 18, 2021, 07:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eastcoastsoxfan

Hi
Anyone ever try these? If so how long did they last?
Thanks

https://stcfootwear.com/products/battler

barbender

Well, a quick Google search suggests this company used to make their boots in  Canada, (it's a Canadian company) but they're made in China now. No way I'm paying near $400 for a pair of boots made in China. I'd look at Haix, I think they are made in Germany.
Too many irons in the fire

Thomasjw4

I have tried Hiax, they weren't to bad, but i a little to stiff for me.  Also have tried La Sportivas, they weren't bad on flat ground but weren't good on slopes.  I am wearing Schnees now, they definitely have my vote.   They are pricey, but worth it.  

barbender

The Haix are a bit stiff. They aren't perfect (I wear the XR200, their other saw boots are just way over the line Euro ugly) but the best I've found for a saw boot. There's not a lot available right now in saw cut protection from what I see.

nativewolf

There actually is a bunch, just all Euro neon like the Haix, I found them looking for definitions of chainsaw protection.   If I can remember the search I will repost.  

A newbie asking about buying boots on 1 thread.  Seems like advertising.  

If you want to see a traditional logging boot the labonville chainsaw boot is and is made in the USA:

8" Kevlar / Poly Steel-Toe Boot

My son and I are wearing them and the biggest issue has been that EE width is just too wide for me, especially 1 foot that is slightly smaller.  I could do with a D width.  My son has a perfect fit with them.  

They are wearing fine after about a year.    

The Euro style boots are all pretty bright, good for visibility maybe but ..bright.
Liking Walnut

teakwood

Quote from: barbender on June 20, 2021, 02:13:07 AMare just way over the line Euro ugly

:D  :D  :D

are you trying to get chicks in the woods?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skeans1

Have you considered something like we wear on the west coast?

Old saw fixer

I'd like to know what you all wear on the West coast, I need something better than the composite toe boots I use now.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Skeans1

Caulk boots all leather or some guys in the winter will where the slip on rubber boots.

DaveP

Nativewolf are the labonville boots hot in warm weather?

barbender

NW, I thought the same thing about advertising😑

nativewolf

Dave, they are a bit hot but I have to have two thick socks so that does not help.  

Made in USA for less than haix and chainsaw protection too
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: teakwood on June 20, 2021, 08:13:51 AM
Quote from: barbender on June 20, 2021, 02:13:07 AMare just way over the line Euro ugly

:D  :D  :D

are you trying to get chicks in the woods?
Yes...duh
Liking Walnut

firefighter ontheside

I bought Nick's Hotshot custom fit about 20 years ago and they were about $400 then.  I just looked and they are about $540 now.  I actually expected they would be much higher than that.  Mine are not safety toe as you weren't allowed safety toes when wildland firefighting then.  I don't know if that has changed. 
Its a great heavy duty logger boot, but they are not for everyone.  It takes a while to get used to the arch.  It appears now they have created a version with a not as severe arch. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 21, 2021, 07:59:26 AM
I bought Nick's Hotshot custom fit about 20 years ago and they were about $400 then.  I just looked and they are about $540 now.  I actually expected they would be much higher than that.  Mine are not safety toe as you weren't allowed safety toes when wildland firefighting then.  I don't know if that has changed.
Its a great heavy duty logger boot, but they are not for everyone.  It takes a while to get used to the arch.  It appears now they have created a version with a not as severe arch.
I wonder what the reasoning was behind the 'no safety toe' thing? I don't like wearing steel toes, but I saw a demo with a chainsaw on composite toes a few years back and those composites cut through like cheese. Good for impact, but no so much for saw chains.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Skeans1

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 21, 2021, 09:03:39 AM
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on June 21, 2021, 07:59:26 AM
I bought Nick's Hotshot custom fit about 20 years ago and they were about $400 then.  I just looked and they are about $540 now.  I actually expected they would be much higher than that.  Mine are not safety toe as you weren't allowed safety toes when wildland firefighting then.  I don't know if that has changed.
Its a great heavy duty logger boot, but they are not for everyone.  It takes a while to get used to the arch.  It appears now they have created a version with a not as severe arch.
I wonder what the reasoning was behind the 'no safety toe' thing? I don't like wearing steel toes, but I saw a demo with a chainsaw on composite toes a few years back and those composites cut through like cheese. Good for impact, but no so much for saw chains.
Heat 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Skeans1 on June 21, 2021, 10:17:03 AM

Heat
Hmmm, that's interesting. All structural firefighting (bunker) boots have steel toes and shanks. Heat rises from the ground in any fire. I have done a fair amount of woods fires, but to be sure never worked in fire environments such as found out west, which is another planet in the wildland firefighting world. In most fires it's cooler on the ground than up at head level. Still, I lack the experience to make a judgement here but I find it interesting.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BradMarks

Nick's, Drew's, Whites, all western brand, all good, all expensive.  Caulked or vibram.  Could never wear the "block heel" or logger's heel as some call it.  Still have in the shop my West Coast spring heel caulks, cause you never know... even at age 67!.

BradMarks

Skeans is right on, I worked for the USFS a long time ago. Fighting fire here, or mopping up requires boots in the hot spots, rooting out rocks and debris.  Your feet do get warm. No caulks either, same reason.

firefighter ontheside

Yep, the heat was the reason.  Mopping up a wildland fire, you could be standing in hot material for long periods of time.  You don't want the steel to heat up and transfer heat to your foot.  In structural firefighting we tend to not be standing in the hot material for hours and hours.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

The conversation usually tends to shift to the West Coast boots, I don't know if any of them that actually have chainsaw cut protection if that is what a person is after. That is the first barrier I have always run into when looking at those boots. I'm not afraid to throw down the coin for a quality pair of boots, but I want the saw cut protection.

nativewolf

That and often no steel toe. 

The Labonville boots are worth a look Barbender.  The widths are EE and that is all they have now, Covid supply issues might relax that a bit in the future, they answer the phone and will discuss with you.  For $300 they are a relative steal.  The composite toes in the Haix really don't offer any cut protection ...I was surprised when I first read this and investigated and it seems true, crush protection but not cut protection.  Which seems strange in a boot with cut proof kevlar linings.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on June 21, 2021, 05:51:33 PM
The conversation usually tends to shift to the West Coast boots, I don't know if any of them that actually have chainsaw cut protection if that is what a person is after. That is the first barrier I have always run into when looking at those boots. I'm not afraid to throw down the coin for a quality pair of boots, but I want the saw cut protection.
Some of the guys put Kevlar on them but most of the time you're limbing out in front of yourself well walking the tree out which normally keeps your feet in the clear. Some of the other reasons you don't see see the cut protection boots out here is climbing up and down the hillsides all day you don't want a stiff boot.

barbender

Yep, I was thinking about that Skeans. Your usage is so different that it makes sense that they don't run Kevlar in many boots out there. You guys are usually running bars that are long enough that they'd be in the dirt before they hit your toes.

Thank You Sponsors!