iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvester bar/chain talk

Started by BrushSaw, July 18, 2021, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrushSaw

Before I start "cold smith'ing" a 3/4" harvester bar (slight bow).

What's your tactic on straightening a harvester bar?

Also, before I drop coin on a 3/4" chain grinder, which grinder and  which grinder wheels are the ones to have?

Lastly if I'm unsuccessful does anyone do bar repair in Midwest or Minnesota specifically? Guess it doesn't matter where if I ship it out, new bar looks to be $350.

I've got a few spare chains that came with the machine, all needing sharpening. An Oregon, 2 in a box labeled GB Saw, and 2 Carlton chains. Only came with the carlton bar that's on the machine.

Any brand chain seem to be stand out among the brands?

Few side notes on this 3 wheel barsaw stroker. Beats the hell out of a chainsaw. Can 100% understand dangle head  on a machine this size. Maneuverability is unreal. Do more feeling than seeing from the cab. 
can't have anything nice...

mike_belben

I have no experience with harvester bars.  Bent chainsaw bars are cheap enough i chuck em.  

I have however moved beams, channels, engine manifolds and axle housing with a rosebud and quench technique very successfully.. Surprisingly well i guess you could say.  Just a little heat in the right spot, sometimes in conjunction with a wet rag, can really pull stuff around in your favor.  

I dont know what alloys and tempers are in bars so the rosebud may not be all roses here but i look forward to seeing what the discussion reveals.  
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Good chainsaw bars can be straightened several times, just keep the rails the same. Bad bars wear down or chip out the rails. If one rail is higher than the other it must be filed or ground square. I start with a vise and go to the anvil.

Skeans1

Quote from: BrushSaw on July 18, 2021, 03:23:51 PM
Before I start "cold smith'ing" a 3/4" harvester bar (slight bow).

What's your tactic on straightening a harvester bar?

Also, before I drop coin on a 3/4" chain grinder, which grinder and  which grinder wheels are the ones to have?

Lastly if I'm unsuccessful does anyone do bar repair in Midwest or Minnesota specifically? Guess it doesn't matter where if I ship it out, new bar looks to be $350.

I've got a few spare chains that came with the machine, all needing sharpening. An Oregon, 2 in a box labeled GB Saw, and 2 Carlton chains. Only came with the carlton bar that's on the machine.

Any brand chain seem to be stand out among the brands?

Few side notes on this 3 wheel barsaw stroker. Beats the hell out of a chainsaw. Can 100% understand dangle head  on a machine this size. Maneuverability is unreal. Do more feeling than seeing from the cab.
For 3/4 11bc/11h bars you're going to need a press no two ways around that. Grinders there's lots of options two of which do nothing but harvester chains as well as the old Silvey P&D grinders another option is something like a Tecomec SuperJolly with a hydraulic vise it comes with all the wheels you'll need to get started. You'll also need a heavy duty breaker as well as spinner to fix chains as well as a storage system of some kind to keep the presets/side plates, drivers, and cutter of the different brand separate. 
This is my ancient Silvey P&D for doing just 3/4" chains.

This is the Super Jolly that's setup to do all chains that are round profile.

This is the press setup I came up with that works very well on bars.

Hope this helps with the dive into the bigger stuff and it's only part of what's really needed to keep those expensive bars and chains going for a long life.

nativewolf

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

https://www.cowiesequipment.ca/bar-tender

I've seen one of these at work and it was pretty neat.  I don't know the folks, maybe some of our NB posters know them.
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

I have some blocking just like Skeans pictured for my press to straighten bars. I've "bush" straightened them with some logs and a sledge hammer, or extending the bar and pushing down with the machine, but those methods are crude and only work in certain instances. A press with some blocks is the best way. Only way to learn is to jump in and try it.

Its also nice to square up the rails and dress the edges while you have them off. 

Ken

I purchased one of the Bar-tenders a few years ago.  We used it a lot before we started following a buncher.  They work really well and are manufactured by a business in Miramichi, NB.  Not sure if they work on 3/4 pitch bars.  Now we usually wear a bar out before it gets bent.  Some of the local contractors have purchased fully automatic sharpeners to do their harvester chains but they are very expensive.  I am fortunate enough to have a retired logger sharpen my chains for a very reasonable price.  Says it gives him something to do.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

BrushSaw

Got a few minutes tonight after work and hauling hay... 85 round bales so far and only one field left.

Gave hydraulic press the college effort at the old man's shop and it's not a gun barrel but should do (in vise for visual)

And found this locally, box said up to 3/4" chains....

Figured I'd return if it wasn't cutting it... but so far looks like a sharp chisel to me. The book that came with surprisingly had specs for Carlton harvester chain. I'm sure it's no where near the consistency of a high end grinder, but I was willing to roll the dice on $120 vs $600 for the Oregon for the amount I'll need it.
can't have anything nice...

mike_belben

Thats the amount of remaining curve after press work that i suspect a torch and quench could dial out if it doesnt cause embrittlement or annealing issues.  Anyone have commentary on that?

Is semi chisel common for harvester chain?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

@mike_belben 
You don't ever use a torch on a bar unless you're done with it. That's last little bit would come out in a press easily once the blocking is setup.

11bc is chipper full round or processor chain
11h is semi chisel or harvester chain it cut faster

barbender

Mike, the body and rails are treated to different hardness and Idk how you would be able to restore that after heating them.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Good point, id never considered disimilar hardness.  

Can a bent and straightened bar still have a long life or does it go in the backup pile?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

They can last a long time especially 3/4 bars they are a really tough setup.

Corley5

I took some serious bends out of 3/4 bars with a ten ton press and blocking.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

I've got a similar press setup to what Skeans is doing, a 3/4 bar will take a lot of abuse. I kind of liked the Carlton chain I had, I'm running 11H on everything else. CBN / Borezon wheel is the ONLY way to go, throw that ceramic wheel out the window. 

Thank You Sponsors!