iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Ma-Jeff-rical Visit

Started by Magicman, January 18, 2017, 08:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

So I built this platform last week and we made an additional bed??

Well, it was to better accommodate an expected guest.   :)

The planning for this trip began at last year's Pig Roast and Tammy graciously agreed to share Jeff with us for a week.  He left home just before a glacier came through that would have surely wiped out the Forestry Forum truck.

The plan was for some Deer Hunting, some Walnut Sawing, and some Eating and I can report that the mission was accomplished.  That plus we made a nice sightseeing trip.

The first evening's hunt was a total bust with us seeing one small buck twice, but I had a plan for the next morning.  An area that I have not allowed any hunting activity for over 10 years.  The setup was an uphill logging skid trail overlooking a bottleneck in the creek bottom.  We had seen one doe and a small 7 point before the action began at 8:40.  An 8 point came into the bottleneck, crossed the creek, and came directly uphill toward us before finally turning broadside.  The shot was good but the bullet apparently struck something and made an entrance  "keyhole" causing much damage.  The deer ran uphill about 100 yards and leaving a wide bloodtrail before falling.

The initial look.

A happy Jeff.

I took this picture from where we were sitting and Jeff is standing where the deer was.

This is a Sycamore tree that we found that had sprouted trees for over 10'

Jeff had a hankering for some more "Toothache" tree, so we fixed him one to go.

My tail gunner sawing a Walnut log.

The yield; two 9/4 live edge slabs and the remainder 4/4 live edge.

Yup, loaded up.

We ate Gumbo, Beef Stew, Taco Soup, and topped off the last night with 20 pounds of Crawfish with Corn and Potatoes.

Jeff's taillights fade into the distance this morning as he begins his trip back to the Glaciated North. 

Safe travels my Friend, and a big Thank You Tammy for sharing Jeff with us for this special time. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

So that's what happened to that walnut tree we discussed earlier. Are all the police on the alert for dangerous walnut poachers between Mississippi and Michigan? :D I am anxious to see those boards again on a future woodworking thread.

Looks like y'all had a great time. Thanks for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Andries

MM, you are the best host ever!
Southern Hospitality at its best.
Jeff will be hooked on road trips for life - or maybe he already is . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

Looks like it was a good trip and to go home with some walnut :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

goose63

Look's like some mighty good viddel's  food3 digin1 digin_2  I bet the Boss had a nap on the way home  8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Texas Ranger

MM, how did that yankee handle those mudbugs?  I kinda thought there were the equivalent of grits?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

John S

That visit must have took place last summer judging by Jeff wearing a short sleeve shirt.  There is ice (not too thick) on the lake here.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

It was well into the 70°'a here yesterday.

We only sawed one Walnut log.  The remainder is scheduled for sawing the first week in February.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

That looks like a great trip. Good friends, good food, and good fun makes the world go around. 8)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WDH

Now he is going to have to put on a long sleeved shirt  yikes_smiley.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Enjoyable thread, thank you for sharing.

Is that buck a 7 or 8pt and what age do you think it is?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Andy White

Lynn,
That tail gunner looks like he's done that before!! Really good looking Walnut slabs. Those will look fine with some new Legrite legs!! Jeff looks twenty years younger when he's in the woods. Glad everything worked out and fell in place. Just what Jeff needed!!! Thank you my friend for doing this and sharing it with us.    8) 8) 8)
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on January 18, 2017, 12:14:37 PMIs that buck a 7 or 8pt and what age do you think it is?
He was an 8 point and probably 3½ years old.  He was not carrying an ounce of fat and probably weighed no more than 140-150 lbs.

Den Socling

Twenty pounds of crawfish! yikes And taco soup is funny because I thought Patti was the only one who made it. She made a big pot this past weekend.

Roxie

That bed looks mighty comfortable.  It's obvious that a weeks visit is restorative to both of you.   :)
Say when

Bert

8) Looks like my kinda trip
Saw you tomorrow!

WLC

I'm a bit envious of those crawfish. It's been awhile since I've had any.  I bet I could've eaten the whole 20 pounds by myself. Mmmm Mmmm good.

Looks like a good visit, good food, good hunting and some mighty fine looking walnut.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Den Socling

I'm still amazed with the 20 pounds of crawdads with everything else. I just Googled crawfish and see one company selling 10 pounds for $75. Maybe that's just tails. I'm afraid to ask ( ;D) is that all you eat?  :D

fishpharmer

Nice Buck! Jeff and MM, you think he was still rutting, causing weight loss?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

A good time was had by all!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

probably weighed no more than 140-150 lbs.
[/quote]

Good for you boss. Good eating.  Don't you bring it in and get tag and weighed?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Our Wildlife Management Areas do have check in/out stations,  but there is no reason to have them elsewhere.  No tags here either.

James, he was on the hunt looking for another doe. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm glad you got to make the trip Jeff. You probably needed a break.
At least we know a magic has at least 1 friend.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

That looks like a really great time and allowed Jeff time from the cave to enjoy the things he loves with great friends. Good going MM and Pat. Wow 70 degrees in January. Though I must say we have had a few mild days this month, mixed in with the real cold ones. 

Back to reality Jeff. ;D  :snowball:
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Den, yes, we had two 10 lb. bags of crawfish.  I have never heard of being able to buy just the tails. 

Thank You Sponsors!