iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying cherry burl

Started by moselgreenwing, January 12, 2017, 01:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moselgreenwing

I milled some cherry burl in November.  I cut it into 1" and 2" slabs.  Some with the grain and some against.  The same day I anchor sealed them and put them in the shed with stickers to dry.  I live in Wisconsin, so not much drying going on now.  How long approximately will they take to dry?  What is the best way to dry them so they have minimal cracking?  The big ones are 24" in diameter and I was hoping to make some small table tops from them. 

I took 2 1" slabs and soaked them in Wood Juice to stabilize them for a week.  I removed from the Wood Juice and kept one in basement, cracked to heck.  Other placed in garage, some cracking.  Better ideas?  Looking to try things to figure the best method as I have 3 burls and more available.

low_48

No idea what wood juice is, I've heard of cactus juice wood stabilizer, but that needs a vacuum to get the resin into the wood cells, and an oven to cure the resin. It can only be done on bone dry wood. If you cut just about any wood in November, and moved it into a home during heating season, it's going to crack. The "best" way would be in a vacuum kiln.

Den Socling

This was a small one I dried for an artsy lady.

I dried it in one of my vacuum kilns but didn't use any special schedule. I stuck it in with something else but don't remember what.

Thank You Sponsors!