iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clutch issue on TJ

Started by sandersen, September 13, 2020, 06:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Finally dropped my rebuilt 353 into TJ this weekend, with new clutch and disc.  Resurfaced flywheel as well. Nosed in the tranny today, it slid in real nice.  But there's not much pressure to the pedal...and really can't shift the tranny.  I checked the throwout bearing and that looks fine.  I must have missed something. Afraid I have to pull the tranny again.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
"Make every step count."

Ford_man

I done that when I rebuilt the engine in my tractor the problem was I put the clutch disc in backwards the hub was tight against the flywheel.

sandersen

I'm fairly certain I got the hub facing the tranny.  But I appreciate the thought. I did not mess with the fingers of the clutch at all.  ?  I'm stumped. 
"Make every step count."

mike_belben

Is the throwout in backwards? 
Praise The Lord

armechanic

Is the pedal free travel adjusted right ?  If the free travel isn't right the throw-out bearing won't push the pressure plate fingers in for enough to release the clutch.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

sandersen

Quote from: mike_belben on September 13, 2020, 08:32:16 PM
Is the throwout in backwards?
Mike, I checked that to be sure through the plate you can remove at the top of the tranny. Flat side of the bearing is facing the engine which I think is right but correct me if I wrong. Thanks.
"Make every step count."

sandersen

Quote from: armechanic on September 13, 2020, 08:40:20 PM
Is the pedal free travel adjusted right ?  If the free travel isn't right the throw-out bearing won't push the pressure plate fingers in for enough to release the clutch.
That may be the issue armechanic. My pedal goes down about three inches before any real pressure is felt and then not much at all. I had to have the flywheel ground down quite a bit too so maybe that's why the pedal needs adjusting. I'll try to adjust the linkage I guess and see if that helps.  I'm hoping for some good pressure right up top of the pedal I believe, right?
"Make every step count."

mike_belben

Im not familiar with skidder trans.    Do they have clutch brakes?  

A roadranger wants 1/8" slack between the fork fingers and bearing when foot off the pedal, and 1/2" between the back of brake and face of input shaft retainer cover.  Id say an 1/8" is a good generic starting point for pedal slack in general.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!