iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 440 c clutch issue

Started by jon440c, January 02, 2011, 05:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon440c

My JD 440c skidder is loosing power, it cannot get out of its own way.  I can only move in low gear, tires will not spin if I'm up against a rock.  Does not move when I push too hard on the accelerator, if I throttle back it starts moving.  When it stops, I move the wheel back and forth and suddenly it starts moving again. 

Please tell me it's my clutch, I heard if it's a transmission I'm screwed.  Also, can the clutch be worked on without pulling the engine?

Mark K

Is it a powershift or a standard transmission? Do you have any freeplay in the clutch? Could be anything from a rear main leaking on the clutch to a clutch or powershift. If it's just the clutch it's not to expensive. I have a 540D in the shop that the powershift is slipping bad. We're thinking about parting it once we found out the cost of a rebuild. 
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

lumberjack48

Clutch inexpensive repair , Power-shift 5 to $8000.00 to rebuild, my Funk cost me 7200. to rebuild, a new one was $14000.00, this was 25 yrs ago.

I sure hope this isn't your case, best of luck
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

you must pull the motor. isnt really as scarey as it sounds. clutch pressure plate throu out bearing check pliot bearing. may need flywheel resurfaced. also a good time to change rear main seal if a lot of hrs. on motor.

Bobus2003

I dunno how much they have changed, but i can pull my engine in my late 60's 440 and have it sitting on the ground in just a few hours.. really pretty easy too do

Thank You Sponsors!