iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Design student needs help with developing new forestry product

Started by lewuk, December 23, 2009, 03:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewuk

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your input so far, I can't tell you how essential your comments have been for my research and in developing the product itself!  After narrowing the specification of the product in line with the target market, it would be have a rigid plastic body, be carried on backpack straps or pulled on rugged wheels (depending on terrain), used as a seat, have a vise mounting, have lockable latches, have divided compartments including a watertight valuables box; and carry first aid, tongs and tape, waterproofs, tools, spares, lunch and flask, sledgehammer, wedges, and felling lever. It will measure approx. 800x450x350mm. Saw and fuel cans will most likely be carried in the hands due to weight/size and contamination.

Please advise on possible improvements. This product may not suit the tasks that many of the posts have suggested but will cater for small-scale woodland management companies. Suggestions about lightweight bags or ATV mounted boxes are completely valid but unfortunately do not quite cover the features and functionality that has been developed in my specification.

Thanks,

Lewis

lewuk

All this information is quite sensitive so I have to be careful about what details I post. But it would be useful for you to see some images

Please click the link below

timberjack240

i dont even take half that to the woods . i put a saw wrench and a wedge in my pocket put gas in a pennzoil jug and tie my bar oil and gas together and put my files in the pocket on my lunch box we dont use a lot of that stuff haha

SwampDonkey

Well I'm not cutting timber here. What I do is cut brush. My file, first aid kit, ansil pack, screw driver for the air filter are in my harness. I carry a tool kit over my shoulder that hangs up on my strip trail along with a water jug which I carry in and out in one hand and a gas jug with an ansil pack in the other. When either get empty I come out to the car.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

I might suggest a bit of padding on the part that rests on your back. Hard plastic against your spine can get old if you've got very far to go or much weight inside.

On the wheels, the bigger the diameter, and more ground clearance you can get, the more chance it will be of some use on something other than a smooth road. I recognize that this may be difficult to do without interfering with its use as a backpack.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!