iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fastest Growing Tree in the World

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 16, 2014, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I have a small log at the mill now that was given me.  A buddy of mine makes and flyes the small planes and wants me to saw it up for him to build some of his scale planes with....  It is very light for its size.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

etroup10

I work at a wood shavings mill and have often wondered how this tree would do there. Since we can take logs down to 6" in diameter, you could get a crop pretty quick. Usually anything soft like aspen, poplar, white pine makes great shavings, except for basswood because it's too stringy. Anyone have any insight on this?
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

whiskers

It's 4 or 5 years old, 9"dbh and crooked as a dog's hind leg. To the left of the sprout there's a 44" shovel. Poston, bring a bucket and the sprout is yours. I'll take pictures whilst you dig it out. ;D

many irons in the fire.........

reswire

My farm is full of these darn trees.  They grow like weeds, and take over an idle field like wildfire.  If you feel the need to saw one, just come to this part of Virginia, the buggers are everywhere.  I wish I could sell the lumber, I'd be worth a small fortune in no time..... :-\
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Southside

Ianab,

Is there a better way to grow them into logs?  Are a lot of the ones grown out in the open crooked?  Just wondering how they would do in a silvopasture setup, I am always looking for ways to get shade into the pastures.  If I remember correctly they will re-grow from the stump pretty quickly. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

One of the growing techniques was to let the sapling grow for a couple of years, then cut it off near ground level. It would then sprout again from the stump, and because you now have an established root system the new shoot would grow 10-16ft in the next year, without branching or having the growing tip knocked out by frost. What it does after that doesn't matter so much, you have your straight butt log.

Planting them a bit denser and then taking out the extras would also encourage that initial straight growth.  You can see in Dr Buck's picture how the tree is open grown, not very straight, and heavily branched and spreading.

QuoteMy farm is full of these darn trees.  They grow like weeds, and take over an idle field like wildfire.  If you feel the need to saw one, just come to this part of Virginia, the buggers are everywhere.  I wish I could sell the lumber, I'd be worth a small fortune in no time

It's all about marketing.  ;) Bundle up 6 decent planks, call it a wooden surfboard kit, and charge $300 for it.
http://www.woodsurfboardsupply.com/wood.html
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 16, 2014, 11:14:29 PM
I'm glad I got some stories from you guys about this tree. I had NEVER heard of it at all. :)

Oh, but there is quite a few stories and threads on this forum about this 'gold mine'. :D Let us know when someone makes their first $ million. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

SwampDonkey, if they start with 5 million, it shouldn't take them long to get it down to 1. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mad murdock

Pauwlonia or Royal Empress has definitely been declared an invasive in some states. Might check with your local county or state forestry office before you get accused of spreading a weed. I think that like Ianab said, with proper cultivation and the right soil/climate, it could be possible to have a resource for niche markets.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

reswire

I've got hundreds of them that are growing straight as an arrow, and are probably 25+ feet high.  They are growing along the road (next to my fence line) and are very thick with little room between them.  I suppose they are competing for light, that's why they grow so tall and straight.  They are only about 4+ inches in diameter, but the ones that are 12- 16 inches in diameter are less crowded, and of course not as straight.  I wouldn't plant them, until I knew there was a market for them.  They are a nuisance for sure, and grow anywhere.  Especially where you don't want them.... :-\
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

GAB

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 18, 2014, 10:10:10 AM
SwampDonkey, if they start with 5 million, it shouldn't take them long to get it down to 1. ;)

Ah-Yup that's farming for you.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 18, 2014, 09:27:50 PM
I wouldn't mess with them  :).

I did bring home a cookie from sawing that log.....don't know what I'll use it for though. ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 18, 2014, 09:54:06 PM
"For one cookie today, I will give you two on Tuesday". 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDNJ6xBaZ92uA&v=xfF_2FjsFDE

That video, which I remember Whimpy......looks like me eating them burgers you grill using your secret smoking technics with the scraps you get off your shop floor.  :D :D :D

Mooseherder

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 18, 2014, 09:48:42 PM
Quote from: WDH on October 18, 2014, 09:27:50 PM
I wouldn't mess with them  :).

I did bring home a cookie from sawing that log.....don't know what I'll use it for though. ::)

You could use it as a saucer for your water dish.   That way it's not directly on the ground. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sixacresand

It is beautiful grained wood, especially when "just sawed". 

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

kevin19343

Years ago a guy from my town was arrested for stealing Pawlonians from local parks and peoples yards. He was selling them for a small fortune back then, even the branches. Now they are pretty much worthless.

We have some on our farm that I'm considering cutting down. They are considered nuisance trees .

davidlarson

At a forum/conference I attended recently, the NC state foresters called these trees a non-native invasive species, undesirable, and they advised us to destroy them as weeds.  I had one growing as a volunteer in my yard, and it took several cuttings to kill it.  You can see many growing along the I-40 interstate highway around Asheville, NC as it winds its way through the national forest there, and it is clearly spreading.  Identification is easy - very big leaves, dramatic purple flowers in the spring, and large seed pods.  Like many non-native invasive species (think kudzu), it is hard to see how it could be eliminated now.
David L.

Thank You Sponsors!