iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strangest stuff traded for sawing?

Started by justallan1, February 09, 2013, 07:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I got a good laugh out of one of my co-workers from the ranch yesterday. This guy has wanted me to saw up some trees for him and I've been telling him as soon as I figure out what I'm doing I would. So yesterday he drives into my yard with an old coffee table that I suppose he found at the dump and put legs on, just wanting to give it to me. I sure don't need it, but took it in the house.
When we go to his place to work cows or brand, that's what we do. We don't have to fix his fences or corrals, he's got them done.
He's got 15 years on anyone here, can take care of all of his own chores and still have time to help out others when they can't. Plus he's a great guy and a wealth of knowledge
I'm a single guy and his wife is a great cook, I believe I'm working for free tomorrow.
Anyone need a coffee table? ;D

slider

Do it from time to time.Sure doesn't hurt to help out a friend.Besides it gives us time to hang out together.
al glenn

bandmiller2

Unless your rich theirs alot of give and take in this life,helping each outher out.There are a few squirrels out there that just take.their the ones to avoid.I'll always give a guy a break,ther are very few people you can't learn something from. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I was sawing for a friend last summer and in the hedge-row I noticed an old cast iron field roller that had been cut down to 5' wide.

When the customer came back out from lunch I asked him what he'd take for it, if it was for sale.

He said it hasn't moved in 8-10 years and it was for sale.  He than said $125.00, so I had to counter offer (haggle) and said how about $100.00 off of the sawbill.  He replied "good enough".

It's parked just off the edge of my yard and I use it once in a while to smooth out mole hills and other irregularities!

Fair trade!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scully

Have not had my mill very long but so far I milled some cherry for any boards I wanted from the order ,and most recently had some work done on my truck ,"the Boys" are building a tractor shed in the spring so they said just pay the bill off in lumber ! I can do that ! I have always tryed to help good folks out ,I think with a mill there are a bunch of possabilitys for bartering !
I bleed orange  .

redbeard

I like to shop the wanted and barter section on CL. So far my mill services and lumber pile has gotten me metal roofing, wood splitter, gravel and old case tractor.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WH_Conley

I have a neighbor down the road that has a few logs sawed 2-3 times a year. I never have collected any money from. He also has a dump truck and hauls gravel.

I hope he wants several sawed this spring, this wet winter has been rough on my driveway. ;D
Bill

Tree Feller

My neighbor across the county road sells firewood. A few days ago i was sawing some Pine and he pulled into my drive with a 16' Cedar log on his firewood trailer. He wanted to know if I sawed for other people and I said sure. Anyway, I unloaded the log with my tractor and a couple of days later sawed it up for him (we had agreed to two 8' logs to reduce waste).

When he came by to pick up the lumber and wanted to know how much he owed me, I told him nothing, heck, we're neighbors. Then he asked what I was going to do with my slab pile and I told him he could have them, too.

I got rid of my slabs, he got his Cedar sawed and we had a great jaw session, too.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

jcbrotz

I will be the first to change this topic to food. :D Half a beefer and a pig er that one end up being 3.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

flyboy16101

the last 2 years I have sawed for my buddy who is a mechanic with, I return I get my 2 trucks and my trailer inspected and he fixes what ever keeps them passing for free with in reason of course
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

francismilker

Sawed a load of cedars for a jersey heifer just last week.  I didn't need anymore cows, but he didn't need the one he had!  Worked out good for both of us. 8)
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

GDinMaine

I'v sawerd about 4-5mbf for my neighbor for no money and still working on that deal.  I figured it is a fair trade, since I can use the experience.  He doesn't care if I don't get the max bf out of a log or make a blunder now and then.  Could not ask for a better deal for learning. He really doesn't need the lumber, but it's better then selling his logs for pulp wood.  He even asked if I need any lumber, he knows a place near by there is a bunch for free. ;D
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

barbender

Justallan1, where exactly in southeast Montana are you located?
Too many irons in the fire

justallan1

I live right near Colstrip, Montana. About 100 miles from Billings.

trapper

I traded 1.5" by .375" stakes to get my canoe painted.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jim H

I've traded sawing for a 6' bush hog, a hay rake, and custom kitchen cabinets.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

pyrocasto

I might have to put some craigslist adds up to barter. Didnt think about it but there is some stuff I would love to trade my work for. :)

dboyt

I've gotten wild honey for cutting, and a log splitter, which I put to good use.  Most satisfying, though, was service.  The customer was a Korean war veteran, and it just happened to be veterans day, so I gave him my Veteran's day, half-off veteran's discount.  Since then, I've done the same for others, regardless of the day.  I'm the boss.  I can do that!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ludo

I can't say it was a "strange" item but last weekend I had a fellow trade me a Stihl 075 in great shape for (20) 3"x3"x16' pine posts and enough 2"x8" to laminate a 30' header.  One of the best trades ever!   8)

Thank You Sponsors!