iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rim Sprocket Question?

Started by kantuckid, January 22, 2016, 08:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

Hey folks, I just got in my used Stihl MS 241C chainsaw. It has the OE bar & chain and I'm ready to stock up on chains for the saw as none I have are same pitch, etc..
I was previously told to get a 7 pin rim sprocket for the saw. Is marked- 7, 3/8P.
WHY? I have in mind to order pro chain,16"- 91VXL055G or N1C-055G
I do see part number # 7Z00006421240, also is # B20225

Also,
Not to start a "OE Stihl parts numbers war",etc. ::) ;D, but I do see Stens #'s for most every Stihl air filter there is but don't find the air filter cartridge for my saw? Help? (I know call my Stihl dealer :D)
Thanks!

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

HolmenTree

Stens may not be up to date on your MS241 as it's  a recently introduced saw.
Looks like your saw is equipped with the Picco b/c setup (63PS/63PS3 chain) . Yes the Oregon 91vxl will fit as its a 3/8" loPro too.
You can convert to .325 but you'll need a new rim and bar.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

kantuckid

So, the 7 pin 3/8 sprocket is used IF you desire to convert my saw to a .325 chain, using new, different bar?
I'm ordering some 91VXL-055G chain loops from leftcoast today.

" Wish I had a STENS #"  for the round cartridge air filter for my saw.
You see them for most all the more common Stihl filters. Even ebays has them for my Stihl backpack blower and the concrete saw filters but mine is screw on type.

WOW, that MS 241 C saw sure is light! 

SawTroll

Quote from: kantuckid on January 22, 2016, 08:17:48 AM
I was previously told to get a 7 pin rim sprocket for the saw. Is marked- 7, 3/8P.
WHY? .....

The P is for Picco, which is Stihl lingo for 3/8" low profile (lo-pro). The 3/8" low profile  chain needs a larger sprocket than regular 3/8" chain.

You can't run .325 on any sprocket made for 3/8" chain, Picco/lo-pro or not.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Thanks for clearing that up SawTroll. 
kantuckid I understood your 241 already has a 7- 3/8 Picco rim sprocket and your bar sprocket nose should also match too. In that case the 91vxl chain you ordered will fit that combo.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

kantuckid

The generic pics in the online owners manual threw me off as they show both types of sprockets. I have some loops of 91VXL, a semi-chisel, non lo-kick type chain from leftcoast on the way @ $8.99 ea.. My dealer gets $20.95 for the Stihl Pico chain- I just doubt it will sharpen more than twice as many times as the cheper version.
It seems there is no STENS air filter for this saw? Leftcoast said they had the flip gas/oil caps in the works and some other stuff too, maybe over time the air filter.
I haven't seen any other machine that uses the twist and click round air filter?

I will say that the flip caps on this saw are much improved from my blowers gas cap!! I broke it once in the short time I've owned it and you have to focus a bit to get it in place while these on the saw I could do eyes shut.
Thanks guys.

Thank You Sponsors!